A guide to phyical activity for people 50+
The Leisure Services Branch offers a great variety and schedule of drop-in programs at our six leisure centres. Programs includes:
- Gentle classes which are ideal for older adults looking for a slower pace or people with limited range of motion or reduced mobility.
- Smart Start beginner classes designed for individuals who have never participated in fitness classes, but would like to start, and people wanting to renew their participation in a fitness routine after some time off.
Pre-registration is not required to participate in a drop-in program. Access is included with a daily general admission, bulk ticket or a LeisureCard.
View the latest drop-in program descriptions here (PDF).
The City of Saskatoon Leisure Services Branch offers a diverse selection of fitness programs designed with the beginner in mind, which are offered through the Fall, Winter & Spring/Summer Seasons. Refer to the Leisure Guide for a complete list of programs and registration details.
- Smart Start Beginner Fitness: Finally, a workout that works! Smart Start adult beginner fitness programs can help you take the guesswork out of physical activity, making it easier to develop a fitness plan that works for you. It was created with the beginner in mind and for those who have not been active for some time. Smart Start programs help you get active through education, skill development and motivation. We’re here to support your participation in physical activities until you are ready to try it on your own!
For more information, visit the Smart Start page or call 975-7808.
- Learn to Classes: Our Learn to Classes are truly designed with the beginner in mind. Each program includes three 45-minute sessions with an additional 15- minutes provided after each class to ask the instructor your individual questions. This program is designed to help you become comfortable and educated in the group fitness activities that you are interested in - giving you the skills and confidence to participate in our regular drop-in fitness classes. You will be provided with:
• Detailed instruction
• Handouts with pictures and descriptions of moves and poses
• Fitness education
• A progressive fitness program to prepare you for further participation
- The First Step Program™: If you have pre-diabetes, diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, osteoporosis, increased body weight, abnormal cholesterol and/or chronic kidney disease, First Step can help to improve your quality of life and help reduce the risk of developing future health concerns.
The First Step Program is a supervised exercise and education program for individuals looking to make exercise a regular part of their life. You will be assigned a highly trained exercise specialist who will access your own individual needs and design an exercise program specifically for you.
Exercise sessions are three times per week at the Saskatoon Field House (Tuesday & Thursday Mornings and Evenings & Saturday Mornings).
For more information and application forms, visit The First Step Program page or call 975-3121.
- Personal / Group Fitness Consultations
- General & Gentle Fitness & Health
- Specialized Wellness Programs