Located at 716 and 718 Saskatchewan Crescent East, this home was declared a heritage site on March 15, 1997.
The two-storey house was built by architect, Frank P. Martin, to be his private residence, with a semi-detached unit available rental purposes. Born in Maidstone, England in 1882, he came to Canada in 1909, adding his architectural designs to a growing Saskatoon including the McMillan Building, Pleasant Hill School and the east wing of City Hospital. 716 was home to Frank P. Martin. His brother lived in the 718 portion.
Double-dormers on a sweeping roof identify this house from across the river and have earned it the name “Gingerbread House.” The home is experimental and personal in design. It is built from T-shaped, interlocking tiles, and has brick upper sills, and Gothic doorways. The 3rd floor was Martin’s study loft.
Click here to find this property on a map.