Located at 612 11th Street East, Former Fire Hall No.3 was officially designated heritage property on February 25, 1991.
A fire hall is often the focal point of a community, meeting emergency needs and providing community leadership. As Nutana grew, the need for a new fire hall became apparent. In 1912, this modern Fire Hall opened just off Broadway on 11th Street. A water tower was built adjoining it that supplied water to all the hydrants in the area and to all the domestic connections within Nutana until 1934.
A two-storey structure of yellow brick banded by a heavy bracketed wooden cornice, the Fire Hall gave instant presence in the community. As alarms sounded, harness from the ceiling would drop unto waiting horses and the doors would fly open. Stables for the horses were built along the south-east end of the building, eventually housing motor fire engines. Its floors were re-enforced several times as trucks became more elaborate and heavier. Early residents recall firemen tying skates for children eager to get on to the Victoria school ice rink.
This Fire Hall served the City of Saskatoon until 1958 when a new Fire Hall #3 was constructed on York Avenue and Taylor Street. The Old Fire Hall #3 served as the Civil Defence Headquarters; the basement was turned into a bunker communications centre in the event of a nuclear war. It is now in private hands, as a bar and restaurant featuring mementos from the now-demolished Capitol Theatre.
Click here to find this property on a map.