Located at 202 Ave.E South in the Riversdale neighbourhood, the Landa House was officially designated a heritage property on November 28, 2005.
Built in 1911-1912, the house was first occupied by Saskatoon Fire Chief Thomas E. Heath. William and Fanny Landa, who arrived in Saskatchewan as members of a Jewish colony from Russia, occupied this residence in 1921 where the family prospered. This home speaks to putting down prairie roots and maintaining family and ethno-religious ties. Adapting his Old-World talents, Landa opened a blacksmith shop on Avenue C in 1908. His business evolved to the manufacture of buggies and wagons, and grew to become Landa Auto Body Works. An attractive example of the Prairie Vernacular style, this home represents four Landa generations who played a key role in Saskatoon’s business, professional, social and religious community.
With financial assistance from the City of Saskatoon Heritage Conservation Program, the present day owners of the house are committed to retaining the heritage elements of the building which will ensure that the legacy of the Landa House is maintained as a property of historical significance for the Riversdale neighbourhood.
Click here to find this property on a map.