The property at 512 Tenth Street East has two historic buildings that tell the story of early and growing Saskatoon. This site was declared a heritage property on April 10, 1989.
The Trounce House, which you can find at the rear of the property, was home to Henry and Bessie Trounce and their family, pioneer settlers of Saskatoon. Built in 1883, it is the oldest known building in Saskatoon. It also was the object of the first real estate transaction in the Temperance Colony, when John J. Conn sold this wood frame house to the Trounces. Combined with the letters of Bessie Trounce written to her mother in England (now at Saskatchewan Archives) this simple house is a tie to our very earliest days.
The Gustin Residence, at the front of the site, was the home and studio of renowned piano teacher, Lyell Gustin. From the 1920s to the 1980s, many students came to the house for lessons in his specially-designed studios, and professional musicians and visitors gathered for cultural performances. The Lyell Gustin Piano Studios were known nationally and internationally for musical excellence. From his home on Tenth Street, important professional initiatives were undertaken including the Saskatchewan Registered Music Teaches’ Association, the Young Artist Series and the Musical Art Club of Saskatoon.
In 2004, the Gustin/Trounce Heritage Committee Inc received financial assistance from the City of Saskatoon for a rehabilitation project to ensure the house retains its heritage integrity. The original furnishings from the 1920s give the Gustin Residence a period flavour.
Click here to find this property on a map.