You are here

Specialized Requirements

Agricultural Implement Dealers

These licenses are issued by the Agricultural Implements Board, Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture. Call 306-787-0338 for forms and additional information.

Auction Companies, Collection Agents, Credit Reporting Companies,Film and Video Outlets, Cemetery Operators, Training Course Providers, and Charitable Fund-Raising Businesses

These businesses must contact the Consumer Protection Division,  Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority at 1-877-880-5550 to obtain proper provincial licenses.  A list of business categories is listed on their website near the bottom.

Casinos, Bingos, Raffles, and Horse Racing

All gambling operations should contact Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority for appropriate licenses and approvals at 306-933-7533 or 1-800-667-7565.


Home based catering kitchens are permitted, however, the Saskatchewan Health Authority only permits low-risk foods to be prepared in a residential kitchen. High-risk food must be prepared in a commercial kitchen. Please contact the Saskatchewan Health Authority at 306-655-4605 for more information about low and high risk foods. The Zoning Bylaw (No. 8770) prohibits retail sales, including customer pick-up of products, at a home based business. Foods prepared in a home based business may only be delivered to the customer.  

Day Cares

Day Cares do not require a City of Saskatoon Business License.  Day Cares, Residential are permitted (maximum of twelve individuals under care). Day cares with more than twelve individuals in care may require City Council approval. Contact Planning & Development at 306-975-7889 for more information.

Child care facilities are licensed by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Education, Early Learning and Child Care Branch at 306-933-6071

Direct Sellers

Direct sellers must contact the Consumer Protection Division at 1-877-880-5550 to obtain a provincial direct sellers license. Visit their website for more information. A municipal direct sellers license is also required and can be obtained through Revenue at 306-975-2400.

Environmental Issues

Ensure that all environmental issues that affect your business have been investigated, specifically those businesses that involve recycling or waste management. For more information, contact the Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment at 1-800-567-4224 and City of Saskatoon Environmental Services at 306-975-2487.

Funeral Services, Cremation Services and Transfer Services

These businesses must obtain provincial licensing through the Funeral and Cremation Services Council at 306-584-1575. Visit for more information.

Gas and Electrical Licensing

These types of businesses must ensure that the individual or contractor performing gas or electrical installations has been properly licensed by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Corrections, Public Safety and Policing. A journeyperson certificate can be obtained from Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission.

Hair Salons

Hair salons must employ at least one journeyperson hairstylist holding a valid trade certificate. For a home based business, the primary resident conducting the business in his or her own home must hold a valid trade certificate and is allowed one non-resident employee and a maximum of eight client visits per day.

Limousines, Shuttles and Related Transportation Services

Businesses transporting passengers require approval from the Saskatchewan Highway Traffic Board prior to obtaining a City of Saskatoon Business License. Contact the Business License Program at 306-975-2760 for more information.

Mobile Food Vendors (food carts)

Mobile food vendors require a provincial health license from the Saskatchewan Health Authority at 306-655-4605, a business license from Community Standards 306-975-2760, a potential right-of-way access permit from Transportation & Utilities Dept 306-975-2454, as well as letters of consent to operate in any of the Saskatoon Business Improvement Districts (BID). Contact information for each BID office can be found in the Service Directory. Applications must be made before March 31st of each year to ensure vending spots are allocated appropriately.

New Home Builders (contractors)

To purchase residential lots from the Saskatoon Land, a division of the City of Saskatoon, you must hold a valid business license or contractor's license and be a registered business with the Corporate Registry (see Provincial Requirements for more information). Contact Saskatoon Land at 306-975-3278 for more information about contractor eligibility to purchase City-owned lots. Trailers stored on the street may require a right of way permit; please contact Transportation & Utilities Dept at 306-975-2454 for more information.

New or Used Motor Vehicle Dealerships

All automobile, snowmobile or motorcycle dealers are required to obtain a motor dealer license from the Consumer Protection Division, Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority 1-877-880-5550 before any motor vehicle sales transactions can occur. A motor dealer license is required in order for the City of Saskatoon Business License to be approved. Motor vehicle dealerships are prohibited in all residential zoning districts. Visit Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority for more information.

Nightclubs, Bars, Taverns, Pubs and Lounges

Any food establishments serving alcoholic beverages will require a liquor license from the Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority call 306-787-5563 or Toll Free at 1-800-667-7565.


Businesses conducting more than 10 pawn transactions per month cannot be located within 160 m of another pawnshop. In addition, there are specific requirements including timing of pawn transactions, minors, pawning of personal identification as well as electronic recording and reporting of pawn transactions. 


Businesses engaged in plumbing work must employ at least one journeyperson holding a valid plumber's trade certificate. Plumbing permits will not be issued unless the company has been approved for a business license or contractor's license.  See Municipal Requirements for more information.

Registered Massage Therapist (RMT)

Registered massage therapists must provide proof of certification before a business license can be issued. Contact the Massage Therapist Association of Saskatchewan at 306-384-7077 or Natural Health Practitioners of Canada at toll-free: 1-888-711-7701 for more information.


Prior to opening a restaurant or any other type of food vendor service, you must contact the Saskatchewan Health Authority at 306-655-4605 to arrange for a proper inspection of the food preparation facilities and to obtain a provincial health license.

Short-Term Accommodations

Short-term accommodations are rental stays in dwellings for tenancies less than 30 days.  Expamples include vacation rentals, bed and breakfasts and AirBnBs.  Prospective operaters may require a business license and must follow the regulations for short-term accommodations.

Tattoo and Body Piercing Parlours

Tattoo and body piercing parlours must contact the Saskatchewan Health Authority at 306-655-4605 prior to opening for business to arrange for a public health inspection for approval of the commercial facility. Tattoo and body piercing parlours are not permitted as home based businesses.


Taxis must contact SGI at 306-775-6599 for provincial approval. Taxis also require a municipal license through Revenue  at 306-975-2400.

Transient Traders, Trade Show Operators and Non-Resident (out-of-town) Contractors

These types of businesses must contact Revenue at 306-975-2400 to obtain the proper Business Licenses.

Video Lottery Terminals (VLTs)

Public places setting up video lottery terminals (VLTs) must contact Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority for approval Toll Free at 1-800-667-7565.

Additional Information

Square One - Saskatchewan's Business Resource Centre
Square One