Quality of Life
We have a strong community spirit, and there is a mix of facilities, amenities, and opportunities for citizens to come together, pursue their interests and enjoy our city’s built, natural, and cultural heritage.
Perceived Quality of Life
Number of New Attainable Housing Units
Vacancy Rates for Rental Housing
Participation Rates for City Recreation and Cultural Facilities
Fire Response Time
Challenges and Key Strategies
Strategies for Success
- Implement the anti-racism education strategy and communication plan; including implementation of the “I am the Bridge” communications strategy and inclusion of anti-racism training and leadership competencies for civic staff.
- Facilitate the development and enhancement of neighbourhood recreation and park infrastructure; including playground replacements, park enhancements, community gardens and outdoor rink upgrades.
- Development and ongoing implementation of landscape design, development and maintenance strategies associated with reducing environmental impacts of parks maintenance operations (potable water, greenhouse gas contributions).
- 1,200 trees planted through park and reforestation projects.
- 30 paddling pools, 17 spray pads, 11 youth centres, and 2 travelling program vans were programed and supported by the City.
- 3 golf courses maintained and enhanced with more than 110,000 rounds of golf played.
- Perceived quality of life in Saskatoon decreased slightly in 2014.
- Although participation rates at the City’s recreation and culture facilities increased in 2014, the increase in participation did not increase at the same rate as percentage population growth.
- Visits to the Mendel Art Gallery decreased by 5,800 (3.4%) in 2014.
- After roads and infrastructure, citizens identify “crime and policing” as the next most important issue facing Saskatoon. Rising gang activity is a top concern.
- Saskatoon’s per capita crime rates were higher than in other major Western Canadian cities in 2013. A marginalized population and the City’s rapid population growth contribute to crime challenges.