We grow both upward and outward, reflecting a balance of greenfield and infill development and maintaining our City Centre as a vibrant hub for culture, commerce and civic life.
Here is the latest City of Saskatoon and Saskatoon Census Metropolitan Area Population Projections 2015 - 2035 Report.
Challenges and Key Strategies
Strategies for Success
- Implement the Growth Plan that was approved in principle by City Council in April 2016, beginning with a 10-year Action Plan to be delivered in early 2017.
- Work with civic departments and external stakeholders to complete the Meadowgreen and Montgomery Place Local Area Plans.
- Work with community partners to adopt and implement Saskatoon’s Homelessness Action Plan.
- Design and build a fourth digester at the Wastewater Treatment Plant with construction scheduled for 2018.
- Launch Administrative Bylaw Enforcement Team to understand current enforcement across the corporation and begin to develop an aligned and consistent delivery model.
- Pursue legislative changes to allow for the enhancement of development levies in advance of urban development.
- Engage with First Nations and Métis about Regional Growth Planning through educational materials, events, and face-to-face meetings.
- Support legalizing existing suites that meet required standards and garage and garden suite development.
- 82 Subdivision Applications processed which reflects a strong demand for new, fully-serviced residential, commercial, and industrial lots.
- $123.3M in net proceeds from land development investments in Hampton Village, Willowgrove, Evergreen, and Rosewood have been allocated by City Council to operating budgets and various capital projects since 2007.
- 525 Attainable Housing Units supported through various programs contained in the City’s 10-Year Housing Business Plan.
- The five year average of residential development in defined infill neighbourhoods is lower than in 2012.
- Quicker than expected residential developments occurring in some suburban neighbourhoods have resulted in challenges in meeting needed transportation infrastructure requirements.