From December 2020 to March 2021, the City is engaging with the public in a review and update of the Boulevard Gardening and Maintenance Guidelines. This review will identify public concerns, address barriers, and align the Guidelines with other City documents. Stakeholder feedback will be compiled with best practice research and internal considerations. The updated Guidelines will be presented to City Council in Spring 2021 and implementation of the updated Guidelines will follow.
What We Heard
We heard in previous engagement activities that most residents are in favour of boulevard gardening, but that some changes should be made to what we originally proposed. In response we have made the following proposed updates to the Guidelines:
- Simplify the process: We will simplify the Guidelines and launch an education campaign about the program this spring.
- Education-first enforcement: We will provide education to gardeners about how to comply with the new guidelines. We will only issue tickets as a last resort. Our new registration process will help us identify and address abandoned gardens.
- Address safety and accessibility: We will make sure that garden sites don’t interfere with safety or access and offer guidance on traffic safety.
- Encourage wildflowers: We have moved wildflowers and naturalized plantings into the main guidelines so that there is no additional process for you. We will explore other opportunities to support resident-planted naturalization later this year.
- Program expansion: We will propose options to Council for an expansion of the program including center medians and other city-owned green space.
Feedback on Options Public Survey - Winter 2021
A final public survey ran from February 18 to February 28 to offer the public and stakeholders an opportunity to provide their comments on the proposed changes to the Guidelines. The feedback received was used to inform the guideline review and to identify opportunities to improve support for boulevard gardening in Saskatoon. For further details on the input received through the survey please review our What We Heard Report.
Online Meetings - Winter 2021
The Project Team met with technical experts and organizations to collect their feedback.
Online Public Survey - Winter 2021
A public survey was conducted from December 17, 2020 to January 21, 2021 to receive feedback on the current Boulevard Gardening and Maintenance Guidelines and what changes should be made to improve the program
How Can You Give Us Your Input?
Engage Page Forum