The original engagement strategy for Climate Action (specifically mitigation) was designed in 2017 and updated in 2018, to guide public and stakeholder engagement through three distinct project phases:
- Phase 1: Building Awareness and Gauging Interest – November 2017-February 2018;
- Phase 2: Designing Recommendations – February-September 2018; and
- Phase 3: Implementation Planning – TBD.
When the Low Emissions Community (LEC) Plan was presented at City Council in August 2019, several indicators (limited stakeholder participation during Phase 2; the significant span of time between Phase 2 Engagement and the LEC Plan going to Council; and concerns raised by stakeholders regarding engagement) prompted the need for additional engagement. To address the motion from Council “that engagement with the community and stakeholders is undertaken to further advance planning and to develop comprehensive implementation strategies for preliminary initiatives”, a supplementary engagement strategy for 2019 was developed. This strategy is outlined in two stages:
- Stage 1A: Communications & Preliminary Meetings (September 16-October 1)
- Preliminary Meetings with stakeholders for inclusion in the What We Heard Interim Report (for October 21 Governance and Priorities Committee Report).
- Stage 1B: Continuing Engagement on the LEC Plan (October 1-TBD)
- Continuing engagement activities with stakeholders.
- Develop an updated engagement strategy for Stage 2.
- Stage 2: LEC Plan Implementation (TBD)
- Potential work with any partners identified in earlier stages.
- Details TBD by earlier phases.
Get in touch with us to provide feedback on the Low Emissions Community (LEC) Plan, opportunities you see in the community, and share your sustainable vision.
The first step (Stage 1A) of the 2019 Engagement Strategy has recently been completed. Stage 1A only allowed a three week window for preliminary engagement. Stage 1B will have a longer engagement timeframe, allowing for increased stakeholder inclusion.
Stage 1B sets out to clearly communicate the LEC Plan and to engage with diverse groups of stakeholders. How they would like to be engaged, and how we implement various action items are important questions needing answers as we move into Stage 2 of the 2019 Engagement Strategy.
Are you or someone you know involved in a sustainability project? Let us know your thoughts using #yxeClimateAction.
Past Opportunities & Results
Stakeholder Engagement Series – 2018
- A series of engagement events occurred in 2018 to seek feedback and help identify and prioritize climate action priorities.
- Climate Action Online Survey – January-February
- Focus Groups – January-February
- Workshop for Community Subject Matter Experts – February
- Pop-up Events – January
- Executive Summary
- Resident Engagement Summary
- Business Engagement Summary
- Non-profits and Community Organizations Engagement Summary
- Community Experts Engagement
Environics Research Survey – 2017
The City hired Environics Research to conduct a survey to better understand environmental attitudes and behaviours, perceived barriers to taking environmental actions, and perceptions of the City’s environmental performance of both Saskatoon residents and the Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) sector.
No question is too small when it comes to climate change. Ask your climate questions today by contacting us at email@example.com.