This posting has closed.
Urban Biological Services Technician
Department or Division: Parks
Term: Temporary full-time for approximately one year
- Assists with the establishment and maintenance of surveys to monitor pest populations.
- Collects, analyses and identifies insect and diseases from field sites throughout the pest management control area. Conducts laboratory rearing and culture of insect and disease samples.
- Assists with the control operations and inspection programs to evaluate the overall effectiveness of pest population reductions and maintains related records.
- Provides information to the public regarding pest concerns. Assists with the enforcement of Dutch Elm Disease regulations and the Weed Control Act. Assists with preparing reports related to the pest management program.
- Applies pesticides for various pest control operations. Ensures the safe handling and disposal of pesticide products.
- Operates, and performs minor repairs to, a variety of equipment used in mosquito control and arboricultural operations.
- Provides guidance and direction to seasonal labourers involved in monitoring, data collection and population reduction operations.
- Supports and promotes a safe and positive workplace culture through a variety of initiatives and activities.
- Supports and promotes the health and safety of employees in accordance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act & Regulations in addition to the City of Saskatoon’s Administrative Occupational Health & Safety Policies and departmental procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 education.
- Successful completion of three recognized core courses from a recognized horticulture diploma program (i.e. Ontario Diploma of Horticulture) or biological studies program.
- Three seasons' experience in the identification and control of mosquitoes and of tree pests and diseases.
- Possession of a valid Saskatchewan Class 5 Drivers Licence.
- Current driver’s abstract from SGI demonstrating a safe driving record.
- Possession of the appropriate Saskatchewan Pesticide Applicator permits.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain within nine months from date of hire, a valid first-aid certificate.
- Considerable knowledge of insect taxonomy, tree species, life cycles and tree diseases.
- Ability to understand and apply arboricultural and integrated mosquito control principles, practices and techniques.
- Ability to recognize and recommend control of common insects and diseases affecting trees.
- Ability to monitor, collect, identify and analyze insect and disease samples in a field and laboratory environment.
- Ability to maintain records of pest populations, distribution and pesticides used in control operations.
- Ability to read and understand municipal and topographical maps and photographs.
- Ability to operate, and perform minor repairs to, a variety of equipment used in mosquito control and arboricultural operations.
- Ability to work with individually minimal direct supervision as well as in a cooperative work group.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public, with particular sensitivity to public enquiries and concerns.
- Ability to participate in job-related safety programs and personal health monitoring and testing programs.
- Physical ability to perform the assigned duties.
Salary: $25.42 to $28.03 per hour (2018 rates)
Closing Date: Monday, February 17, 2020 - 5:00 pm
Labour Group: CUPE 59