This posting has closed.
Parks Technician 9 (Internal)
Department or Division: Parks
Term: Temporary full-time for approximately six months
- Assists with developing and implementing maintenance schedules to meet approved service levels and procedures.
- Assists with developing and implementing tree maintenance and reforestation schedules for parks trees.
- Assists with the monitoring of irrigation systems to ensure plant requirements are met.
- Constructs new planting beds in accordance with designs and monitors existing beds and makes recommendations for renovations.
- Monitors all areas for weeds and recommends appropriate controls.
- Monitors and assesses condition of perennial, shrub, and turf areas applying appropriate maintenance techniques as required.
- Monitors plant material for diseases and insect problems and recommends appropriate controls.
- Operates all types of park maintenance equipment and assists staff in proper operating and maintenance techniques.
- Assists with designing, construction, installing and maintenance of annual beds, perennial beds and shrubs and tree beds.
- Assists with the supervision and training of assigned staff.
- Supports and promotes the health and safety of employees and the general public in accordance with the Saskatchewan Employment Act, Saskatchewan Health Regulations and Standards, Occupational Health & Safety Regulations and the City of Saskatoon’s administrative Occupational Health & Safety policies and departmental procedures. Maintains and monitors programs which affect public health and safety.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 education.
- Successful completion of three recognized core courses from a recognized horticulture diploma program.
- Successful completion of one core course in turf maintenance within one year after the date of hire.
- Three seasons’ horticultural experience, including one season in parks horticulture.
- Possession of a valid Saskatchewan Class 5 Driver's Licence.
- Current driver’s abstract from SGI demonstrating a safe driving record.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain within three months after date of hire, the appropriate Saskatchewan Pesticide Applicator Permits.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, within one year after date of hire, a valid first aid certificate.
- Ability to understand and apply horticultural principles, practices and techniques.
- Ability to recognize, and recommend programs to control weeds, diseases and insects in turf, shrubs and trees.
- Ability to operate all types of parks horticultural maintenance equipment.
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to direct and instruct staff.
- Ability to interact effectively with the public
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. .
- Physical ability to perform the assigned duties in a variety of weather conditions.
Salary: $24.27 to $26.76 per hour (2018 rates)
Closing Date: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 - 5:00 pm
Labour Group: CUPE 59