This posting has closed.
Environmental Protection Officer (Internal)
Department or Division: Water & Waste Operations
Term: Permanent full-time
- Inspects and investigates residential, commercial, industrial and institutional properties and public right-of-way to ensure compliance with environmental bylaws.
- Enforces environmental bylaws, including public education, investigation, issuing warnings and tickets and working with solicitors on summary conviction offences.
- Assists with development and revision of environmental bylaws.
- Conducts environmental sampling for environmental protection projects and bylaw enforcement.
- Assists with the development and revision of an environmental management system (EMS).
- Maintains records of all bylaw enforcement, investigations, environmental sampling and EMS reporting.
- Assists with environmental spills and/or contaminated site remediation through testing, site visits, site inspection and reporting.
- Assists with special projects related to the activities of the Division, such as promotional events, community clean-ups, educational presentations, recycling activities.
- Responds to information requests from civic staff and the public relating to bylaw and environmental protection.
- Assists with the review of development plans to ensure principles of sustainable development.
- Assists with the preparation of brochures and other information measures designed to improve customer service.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Graduation from a recognized two-year, post-secondary environmental engineering technology program.
- Two years’ related experience.
- Certification, or eligibility for certification, as an Applied Science Technologist with the Saskatchewan Applied Science Technologists and Technicians.
- Possession of a valid Saskatchewan Class 5A Driver’s Licence.
- Current driver’s abstract from SGI demonstrating a safe driving record.
- Knowledge of environmental issues relating to municipalities.
- Knowledge of regulatory enforcement procedures.
- Knowledge of environmental sampling procedures.
- Ability to maintain accurate and current records.
- Ability to present evidence in a Court of Law.
- Ability to deal effectively with public and co-workers.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Skill in the operation of a computer with Microsoft Office software.
Salary: $31.86 to $32.76 per hour (2016 rates)
Closing Date: Thursday, February 20, 2020 - 5:00 pm
Labour Group: CUPE 47