This posting has closed.
Division or Department: Recreation & Community Development
Term: Permanent part-time
- Prepares animal diets, feeds animals and distributes water; bottle-feeds young as required. Orders feed and supplies, as required.
- Cleans, disinfects and inspects exhibits, exhibit furniture, water and food containers to ensure a safe and healthful animal environment.
- Monitors animal behaviour, including pen signs, droppings etc., for signs of illness and injury.
- Performs various animal health-care activities, including hoof-trimming, faecal collection, restraint, treatment, in administering medication and vaccine injections, observation and coordinates all relative animal testing and quarantine procedures.
- Recommends and implements techniques and methods pertaining to animal husbandry, habitat improvement of enclosures and the handling, care, breeding and selection of species and develops animal enrichment protocols and exhibit interpretive signage.
- Maintains animal records on a daily basis using Saskatoon Zoo Animal Records (SZAR) Reports.
- Assists veterinarian in routine and emergency rounds and procedures
- Performs minor repairs to fences, structures, cages, enclosures and equipment and advises of other needs; performs in-pen grounds maintenance and zoo security.
- Secures enclosures, protects against vandalism, inspects site and reports public, animal and staff safety concerns.
- Performs public relations tasks, including public information, crowd control and regulation enforcement.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 education.
- Graduation from a recognized, post-secondary, two-year program in Animal Health Technology, Animal Science, Agriculture or a related field.
Graduation from a recognized, post-secondary Zoo and Aquarium Technology program.
- Possession of a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence under the Firearms Act, or obtained within three months after date of hire.
- Possession of a valid Saskatchewan Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
- Current driver’s abstract from SGI demonstrating a safe driving record.
- Three years' related animal husbandry experience.
- Thorough knowledge of animal husbandry as it applies to the needs of captive animals.
- Ability to deal safely, effectively and appropriately with a variety of animals, under all conditions.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Ability to perceive the health condition of animals by observation.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to understand and apply zoo-keeping techniques.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision within established standards of animal husbandry.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a team environment.
- Physical ability to perform the assigned duties outdoors under all weather conditions.
- Skill in the safe use of restraint, health care and nuisance-control equipment.
- Skill in the operation of a computer with Microsoft Word software.
Salary: $29.11 to $32.10 per hour (2021 rates)
Closing Date: Friday, June 18, 2021 - 5:00 pm
Labour Group: CUPE 59