Major Construction Projects
Is construction happening on your street? Take our survey and give us your feedback!
From approximately May to October crews across the city improve our roadways, bridges, and water and sewer systems to meet the needs of a growing Saskatoon.
Know before you go! Plan your route around road work and check construction project schedules with our Road Restrictions and Construction Projects map.
2016 Construction Projects
Other Construction Projects
- New road construction in Evergreen
- Twinning on Claypool Drive, includes intersection improvements at McClocklin Rd:
Claypool Drive Construction FAQs
Construction to twin Claypool Dr. is tentatively scheduled to start at the beginning of May. The work will include adding a second lane in the eastbound direction on Claypool Drive between McClocklin Road and Airport Drive and upgrades to the McClocklin Road and Claypool Drive intersection. At the completion of the final phase there will be two lanes of traffic in each direction on Claypool Drive from Airport Drive to Hampton Gate North. The intersection at McClocklin Road and Claypool Drive will have turning bays and traffic signals as well.
The work is expected to be completed in July 2016.
What traffic restrictions will be put in place while this work is completed?
From April 28th – April 30th:
- A full closure of the intersection of McClocklin Rd. and Claypool Dr.
- During this phase Claypool Drive will be closed.
From May 1st – Mid-July (Projected completion date weather permitting):
- Two way traffic will be maintained in the westbound lanes of Claypool Dr. from Hampton Gate North to Airport Dr.
- There will be no access to Claypool Dr. from McClocklin Rd. Traffic will be detoured to Hampton Gate North for access to Claypool Dr.
Will the flooding issues at the corner of Claypool and McClocklin Road be addressed with this work?
Yes, the intersection at Claypool Drive and McClocklin Road will be developed as part of the Claypool Drive twinning. McClocklin Road is currently a temporary road, which will be further developed as the neighbourhood expands.
Drainage will be addressed with the installation of catch basins tied into the storm system along Claypool Dr. and at the intersection. These improvements will eliminate the current ditch drainage system and prevent flooding of the roadway.
In addition, curbs, sidewalks and traffic lights will be installed to improve traffic flow and pedestrian access.
Why was the drainage issue not addressed during last year’s construction work in the area?
The reason for this work not being completed last season was due to Airport zoning restrictions. The City was not permitted to start work on Claypool Dr. between McClocklin Rd. and Airport Drive until September 2015.
The work to twin the westbound direction was considerably less than the work to twin the eastbound direction; with the limited time left in the 2015 construction season the City decided to complete the twining of the westbound lanes on Claypool Dr. first.
Public Works has been monitoring the drainage at this corner until construction can begin this May.
What hours/days will the contractor be working?
The particular contractor hired for this project is scheduled to work weekdays Monday – Friday and every other Saturday. Currently, no plans are in place for Sunday hours or evening/overnight hours.
Even though work won’t be taking place every weekend, the detour road signage will still be in effect and residents are reminded that they must continue to follow the posted detours.
- Marquis Industrial
- Sidewalk Crack Fill
- Sidewalk Trip Ledge Cutting
- Pedestrian Ramp Replacements
- Sidewalk Replacement
- 33rd Street Multi-Use –3rd Avenue to Ontario Avenue
- Preston Avenue Multi-Use Pathway
- Alberta Avenue–33rd Street to 34th Street
- Quebec Avenue–33rd Street to 40th Street
- Highway 16 and 71st St
- 22nd Street and Diefenbaker Drive
- Warman Road and 51st Street
Water & Sewer Projects
W&S Development in Aspen Ridge
W&S reconstruction 38,300 M2
- 10,000 metres sanitary sewer rehabilitation
- 1880 metres watermain upgrades (including Broadway with 60 lead connections)
- 388 lead connections
- 50 manhole rehabilitation
- 120 sewer connection replacements
- Spadina Lift Station Upgrades
- Liquid Waste Haulers Station
- Wastewater Treatment Plant electrical and equipment upgrades
- Water Treatment Plant upgrades to Clarifier, two new transfer pumps and electrical upgrades
- Sound Attenuation Walls
- Park development in Rosewood, Evergreen, Hampton Village, Marquis Industrial Park, Silverwood Industrial Park, Montgomery Park; and upgrades in Kinsmen Park
- Gravel Road upgrades 3,100 m2