2018 Civic Pancake Breakfast Raises $6K for Saskatoon & Area United Way!
The rain stayed away making this morning's well-attended Annual Civic Pancake Breakfast a great success. We served a total of 1,268 delicious pancake breakfasts!
We’re pleased to report that patrons, volunteers, and valued sponsors of the 44th Pancake Breakfast successfully raised $6,000 (including tips) for the Saskatoon & Area United Way.
Proud to strive toward a zero-waste event using compostable, recyclable and reusable supplies, the final waste tally/results for this year are as follows:
- 140.84 kg of organics (compostables) which included all dishes, utensils, natural latex gloves, napkins, wooden stir sticks, coffee & juice cups, coffee filters, and coffee grounds
- all cardboard boxes, juice boxes (tetra paks), coffee cream cartons, plastic jugs, and whipped cream containers were recycled for a total weight of 25.59 kg
- due to non-compostable/non-recyclable items, only a very minimal 1.88 kg bag of waste was generated
To note, the waste characterization breakdown for this year was 15% recyclable and 84% organics/compostable; only 1% was attributed to waste.
Last year, the Civic Pancake Breakfast donation to the United Way Saskatoon & Area was just over $5,300, having served up 1,122 breakfasts.
The City of Saskatoon would like to thank everyone who came to the breakfast, and we also extend a grateful thank you to all our breakfast sponsors who offered their generous support:
- Federated Co-operatives Limited
- Van Houtte Coffee Services
- Sheraton Cavalier
- Handy Special Events
- Loraas Recycle
- Saskatoon Visitor and Convention Bureau (Tourism)
- Compass Group Canada
- Saskatoon Media Group
- Saskatoon City Employees Credit Union
- CUPE 59
- Saskatoon Firefighters Local 80
- Exempt Staff Association (ESA)
- Saskatoon Civic Middle Management Association (SCMMA)
The City of Saskatoon strives to be a leader in environmental stewardship; we work together to implement environmentally friendly and sustainable practices for the corporation and the community at large. We encourage all event organizers to help reduce waste.