Bridging to Tomorrow Celebration, Come Prepared!
An exciting milestone for Saskatoon arrives on Tuesday, October 2, 2018. Grand opening events take place for the Chief Mistawasis Bridge, the extension of Central Avenue and McOrmond Drive, and the new Traffic Bridge.
The City of Saskatoon invites residents to take part in the events of the day, the first of which begins at 8:50 a.m. on the Chief Mistawasis Bridge with a Grand Entry. The Opening Ceremony follows from 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. People will be invited to explore the bridge, take in the views, or snap photos from 10:00 a.m. until noon. A few important items to note for those attending;
- Dress for cooler, and potentially wet weather
- Prepare to walk from the parking area on the west side of the bridge to the stage area part way up the bridge
- Starting as early as 8:00 a.m., enter only from Wanuskewin Road (right turn) onto Chief Mistawasis Bridge, follow the parking directions
- No food or beverage service available until the afternoon party on the Traffic Bridge
- Exit east only onto new Central Avenue and McOrmond Drive extensions (see map attachment or go to Saskatoon.ca/bridging)
For the Traffic Bridge party from noon until 2:00 p.m., attendees will be invited to walk up either side of the bridge and meet in the middle for a more informal event that includes entertainment. Items to note for those attending;
- Dress for cooler, potentially wet weather
- No specialized parking, regular downtown area parking fees apply. Residents are encouraged to take Saskatoon Transit, bike, walk, or park in area parkades, lots, and on-street obeying time limits and parking fees
- On-site food trucks available at Traffic Bridge for purchase of food or beverage, attendees are welcome to bring their own lunch
Chief Mistawasis Bridge, McOrmond Drive and Central Avenue extensions will open to vehicular traffic later in the day on October 2. The Traffic Bridge will open to vehicular traffic on October 3.
If you are unable to attend, please keep an eye on the City’s social media including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for posts throughout the day.