City Crews Keep Saskatoon Moving After Second Snow Event
Saskatoon residents woke up to a snow-covered city this morning, with 8 cm of snow falling overnight. To keep drivers moving, 8 speed plows and 17 sanders worked throughout the night along Circle Drive. As snow accumulated, 28 graders were deployed along with sidewalk plows at approximately 7:00 am.
Plows are effective at clearing even small amounts of snow from freeways at high speeds, while graders require a minimum accumulation to be effective. In order to maximize efficiency and minimize costly re-work, plows are deployed throughout the duration of a snowstorm and graders are mobilized once accumulations reach 5 cm.
Crews continue to inspect, sand, and salt high traffic streets, bridges, and overpasses on a regular basis to provide traction. Sanding and salting is also occurring at intersections, curved roads and icy sections on all residential streets, as required.
All Priority One roadways are expected to be cleared within 72 hours of the end of the storm. With ongoing flurries and more light snow in the forecast for the next few days, residents will continue to see fast moving plows and slower moving graders on all major roadways, including high traffic roads like Circle Drive, 8th Street, and 22nd Street. Please slow down and watch for blue and amber flashing lights that signal winter maintenance equipment is ahead.
What you can expect from us:
- Speed plows are clearing driving lanes along Circle Drive
- Graders are clearing snow on priority two streets like 8th Street, 22nd Street, and Idylwyld Drive.
- All 3 snow storage sites are open for the winter season:
- Southwest - Civic Operations Centre (Valley Road, west of the Saskatoon Landfill access)
- Northwest - Wanuskewin Road (1.4 km south of Highway 11)
- Northeast - Central Avenue (3.8 km north of Attridge Drive)
- The Southeast 8th Street site is permanently closed.
How you can help us:
- Please slow down and watch for blue and amber flashing lights that signal winter maintenance equipment is ahead.
- Remember to clear all residential sidewalks within 48-hours, and business sidewalks within 24-hours.
- When safe to do so, drivers can report icy locations to the 24-hour Customer Service Centre at 306-975-2476 or email email@example.com.