Safety Reminder: Coyote Sightings
The City is advising the public that coyote sightings have occurred at various locations throughout Saskatoon. The City reminds people to keep their distance from coyotes and all wildlife as they can be unpredictable when confronted.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding coyotes or other wildlife within City limits, please contact Urban Biological Services at 306-975-3300. If an emergency occurs, please contact Saskatoon Police Service at 306-975-8300.
The following is what to do if you have a close encounter with a coyote:
- Never approach the animal;
- Look for a way out;
- Be observant of the coyote’s movements;
- Act assertive, yell, and wave your arms so that the coyote maintains a healthy respect for humans;
- Ensure the animal has an escape route with enough space to flee the situation; and
- Keep pets on a leash and under control.
Coyotes are an important component of a balanced ecosystem and are common in all major municipalities across Canada. Rapid expansion of the city and design of larger green spaces has resulted in more wildlife sightings. Coyotes can be seen in residential and commercial areas, especially if food and shelter are readily available.
Listed below are tips to help avoid a coyote encounter in your yard:
- Never feed coyotes or leave food waste in accessible areas;
- Seal off access to decks and other sheltered spaces in your yard;
- Do not feed pets outdoors; and
- Close the gate to your yard and ensure fencing is in good condition.