Property owners proposing to install a private access across a road ditch are required to obtain approval of a culvert plan through the crossing permit application process.
What is my responsibility as a property owner with a culvert under my driveway?
- Keep ditches clear in between culverts
- Keep culverts clear by removing snow and debris from culvert openings
- Follow City of Saskatoon standards for installing culverts on all new and re-constructed driveways
- Work with neighbours to resolve drainage issues
- Obtain a crossing permit from the City of Saskatoon for installing new driveways
Culvert Specifications that must be met for new installations:
1. Size: 300 mm diameter or larger
2. Length: Culverts shall extend out from driveway edge with side slopes at 3H:1V from driveway to culvert bottom or have a vertical wall from driveway edge to culvert bottom. For maximum crossing widths please refer to the private driveway crossing guidelines.
3. Material: Corrugated steel, PVC, corrugated poly, or reinforced concrete
4. Slope: Minimum grade of 0.5% along the length of the culvert