Youth and MĒ TA WĒ TĀN Centres
Summer Youth Centres (12 - 16 years)
Free drop-in summer youth centres operate from July 3 to August 17 (closed on August 1).
Drop-in for sports, games, music or just hang with your friends. Program leaders, together with the participants, plan daily activities to meet the unique interests and needs of the local youth.
Hours of Operation (unless otherwise stated)
Times and locations are subject to change.
Jul 3 to Aug 17
- Mon-Thurs 11:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (closed Aug 1)
- Fri 1:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
2017 Youth Centre Locations (locations are subject to change)
- Brownell School (274 Russell Road)
- Pope John Paul II School (3035 Arlington Avenue)
- St. Peter Elementary School (202 Sumner Crescent)
- St. Volodymyr School (302 Kellough Road)
- St. John School (1205 Avenue N South)
- St. Mary Wellness & Education Centre (327 Avenue N South)
- Westmount School (411 Avenue J North)
Sports Only Youth Centres (locations are subject to change)
- Lakewood Civic Centre (1635 McKercher Drive) Mon-Thur 1:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. & Fri 1:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Traveling Basketball Program
- Outdoor Court behind Cosmo Civic Centre (3130 Laurier Drive next to Charlottetown SkatePark) Monday and Friday from 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Briarwood Park Outdoor Court (beside Briarwood Park spray pad) Tuesday from 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Forest Outdoor Court (beside Forest Grove Spray pad) Wednesday from 1:30 p.m to 5:30 p.m.
- Optimist Outdoor Court (beside Riversdale paddling pool) Thursday from 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Cosmo Civic Centre (3130 Laurier Drive) Monday to Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the gym
FREE! Express yourself with unique art projects, music and theatre!
- Albert Community Centre (610 Clarence Avenue - 2nd floor) Mon -Thur 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Fri 1:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
MĒ TA WĒ TĀN Youth Centres
ME TA WE TAN is the Cree word for “Let’s Play.” These programs are a fun way for youth to get active in sport, culture and recreation. Connect with others with similar interests and experience something new in a comfortable environment. They feature activities with a focus on Aboriginal culture, sports, and heritage.
Fall/Winter and Spring MĒ TA WĒ TĀN Programs
Building on the success of the summer drop-in program, we are excited to offer community partners the opportunity to host a MĒ TA WĒ TĀN Youth Program during the school year. Check the Leisure Guide for dates, times and locations. Open to everyone, the MĒ TA WĒ TĀN centres are the perfect gathering place to get active, meet new friends, and have some fun in the evening.
Whatever your fitness level, age, or leisure interests, there is a MĒ TA WĒ TĀN program for you. Whether you are taking an aquacize class with an Aboriginal instructor or learning the art of Aboriginal drums and song, attending a MĒ TA WĒ TĀN class means you’ll meet others with similar cultural interests, learn more about the Aboriginal traditions, and get active in an environment that helps you learn the tools to a healthier lifestyle. You’ll always feel welcome and have loads of fun at the City of Saskatoon’s MĒ TA WĒ TĀN programs.
MĒ TA WĒ TĀN centres provide a gathering place for people of all ages to learn healthy lifestyles through sport, recreation, and cultural activities. Leaders provide a fun and active atmosphere while sharing Aboriginal crafts, games, and other activities.
Be active. Be challenged. Be spontaneous. We encourage you to come out and give the new and improved MĒ TA WĒ TĀN programs a try!
Ideas & Suggestions
Have a great idea for activities you would like to try? Want to make a suggestion? We want to hear from you! Email us your ideas to the Youth & MĒ TA WĒ TĀN Centres or contact us at 306-975-3378.