Building, Renovations & Permits
COVID-19 Response: Building Standards
UPDATE: May 22, 2020
Residential, Commercial and Plumbing Field Inspections Resume with Restrictions
Over the last number of weeks, City of Saskatoon Building Standards has developed a proactive strategy to provide a safe and supportive return-to-work plan for field inspections, following all guidelines and restrictions as required by the Chief Medical Health Office and regulated under the Government of Saskatchewan’s Re-open Saskatchewan plan. As a result, starting the week of May 25th some field inspections will resume:
- On-site residential building permit inspections and plumbing permit inspections will resume on Monday May 25th for unoccupied construction;
- On-site commercial building permit inspections will resume on Tuesday May 26th for unoccupied construction;
- Remote video inspections will continue to for residential living units that are occupied;
- Inspectors will call the customer in advance of the inspection to ensure the unoccupied construction is vacant and ready for inspection. For video inspection, established practises will continue; and,.
- Plumbing inspectors will continue to contact the customer to arrange inspection times. This is an important change that has seen great benefits for both the inspectors and the customers.
The City of Saskatoon has outlined roles and responsibilities for both employees and residents while employees are visiting public property during the COVID-19 pandemic. Full details can be found under Frequently Asked Questions, Is City service work continuing at private properties during the COVID-19 pandemic?
In addition, the following service changes remain in effect:
- Residential Permit Applications are limited to online submission. Submit a Residential Permit.
- Commercial Permit Applications are accepted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your plan is more than 25MB, it may be too large to submit via email. In this case, please separate your application documents/plans into more than one email. Include the construction address and how many emails you will be submitting in the subject line. Example: 123 Main Street, Email 1 of 2
- PID Applications accepted via email@example.com
- Plumbing Permit Applications accepted via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payments will be accepted via telephone at 306.975.2645
For more information or to book your inspection please visit saskatoon.ca/services-residents/building-renovations-permits/inspections.
Questions? Reach out to our permit file support team by calling 306.975.2645, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Visit saskatoon.ca/covid-19 for the latest information.
Learn more about submittal requirements, forms, and fees for building, plumbing, and demolition permits. Did you know you can now submit your Residential Type A building and development permit application online? Click on the button below to create your account and submit your application.
Did you know you can now book your inspection and view your inspection reports online? Learn more about booking your inspection, site security, and preparing for your building inspection.
Change or register a new address. Get historical information about your property. Find building records and blueprints, and current reports on building permits.
Know what permits you need? Go straight to our list of PDF forms. Or browse the list to make sure you have everything you need for your current project.
Here are recent updates to Building Standards requirements.
The new Building Bylaw No. 9455 is one of the pieces of legislation that regulates building construction in Saskatoon. This bylaw provides transparency around application requirements and permitting conditions.
Find out if energy compliance applies to your project, and what documents you will need when applying for a building and development permit.