You are here

Building Bylaw

The City of Saskatoon  Building Bylaw No. 9455 is one of the pieces of legislation that regulates building construction in Saskatoon.

The new  Building Bylaw No. 9455 was approved by City Council on May 23, 2017. The new bylaw provides a platform to better serve you, our customers, by enhancing program transparency and clarifying application requirements and permitting conditions.

Starting January 1, 2018, the new bylaw will come into effect.

What are the changes in the new Building Bylaw?

Changes within the new bylaw are intended to clarify and clearly communicate building permit requirements and conditions; enhance enforcement tools and permitting options to mitigate adverse construction impacts; and allow for better alignment with other civic bylaws. Below is a high-level summary of the changes, for more information on the changes, please refer to  Building Bylaw No. 9455 or contact our office.

Permit Fees

The bylaw includes new administration fees to support the sustainability of the Building Inspection and Plan Review programs. Details of all fees are in Schedule A of the bylaw.

Refund Administration Fee:  The refund administration fee will increase to $300. Subject to Schedule B of the bylaw, the new fee will be withheld for customers requesting a refund for building permit applications received after January 1, 2018.

Awning Encroachment Fee:  As of January 1, 2018, Building Standards will no longer charge an annual awning encroachment fee. A one-time fee will be applied to awning encroachments built after January 1, 2018.

Building Permit Re-inspection Fee:  A building permit fee includes the cost of permit review and a specified number of inspections.  A re-inspection fee will be charged in the event additional inspections beyond the specified limit are requested. Payment for additional inspection is required at time of booking.

Commitment Letters for Life Safety Systems

Part 3 buildings with life safety systems, such as fire alarm systems, sprinkler systems and specialized mechanical systems, require an inspection of the systems installation to confirm compliance with the design. A commitment letter is now required at the permit application stage, and a letter of assurance will be required prior to closing the permit.

 How can you help us?

  • Work with your design professional to submit the required form at the permit application stage.
  • Have your design professional complete all applicable inspections as indicated by the commitment letter. 

Refusal to Issue a Permit

Building Standards can withhold the issuing of a permit as per Section 16 of the bylaw. Upon refusal of the issuance of a building permit, Building Standards will provide a written explanation upon request of the applicant.

 How Can You Help Us?

  • Obtain a building permit prior to beginning construction.
  • Build in accordance with the Zoning Bylaw.
  • Maintain a current account with the City.

Permit Term and Extensions

An expiry date will be added to each permit issued after January 1, 2018.

For ground orientated dwelling units, a building permit is valid for 2 years from date of permit issuance.

For all other buildings, a building permit is valid 2 years or longer subject to approval from the Local Authority. 

In the event construction should take longer than the approved construction timeline, a request to extend the Building Permit may be submitted to the Local Authority and upon approval of the request, a fee is to be paid.

 How Can You Help Us?

  • Communicate estimated construction timelines with your Permit Officer in advance of permit issuance.
  • Contact Building Standards to apply for a permit extension if construction is anticipated to take longer than the approved construction timeline

Permit Conditions

Construction Signage:  Building permit and signage stating contractor contact information to be posted at conspicuous location on site.  A contractor may choose to display their “advertisement signage” or may request a template from Building Standards that has contractor name, address and contact information.An expiry date will be added to each permit issued after January 1, 2018.

 How Can You Help Us?

  • Post your building permit and signage in a visible location prior to construction.
  • Communicate construction timelines and milestones with neighbours to minimize disruptions.

Construction Garbage on Site:  A garbage bin or secured area (fenced area) is required to hold waste material. This is required to be provided by the contractor or applicant.  Building inspectors will enforce requirement of bin. Environmental protection officers will enforce timely bin emptying. 

 How Can You Help Us?

  • Provide proper waste removal on site prior to construction.
  • Obtain a Right of Way permit from the City of Saskatoon Transportation Divison prior to placing a garbage bin on a city roadway.   

Amendments to Building Legislation

New city-wide requirements will be enforced beginning January 1, 2018. Refer to Schedule C of the bylaw for more details.

 How Can You Help Us?

  • Design and construct in accordance with the new requirements.

Underground Tanks

As per Section 6 of the bylaw, a building permit is now required for the installation and removal of underground tanks.