Cats in our Community
Cats make great pets to have around the home. Every cat has a unique personality and quickly becomes a part of your family. While cats are typically known for being relatively low maintenance, there are a lot of things to consider to ensure they are at their happiest and healthiest.
Essentials of Cat Ownership
Thinking about adopting or purchasing a cat? Consider the costs of owning a cat before making this important decision. While the cost of owning a cat is much less than that of a dog, there is still a significant financial responsibility associated with owning a cat.
- Spay or neuter services
- Food and water dishes
- Collar and leash
- Litter box
- Scratching post
- Cat carrier
- Annual licensing fees
- Cat food and treats
- Vet check-ups and vaccinations
- Vacation pet-sitting
- Pet insurance
If you want your cat to take in the fresh air and experience the stimulation of the outdoors, consider teaching your cat to walk with a harness and leash or invest in a Catio (cat patio). There are many ways to ensure that your cat can safely enjoy the outdoors.
Licensing your Cat
- In Saskatoon, all cats four months and older require a valid pet license
- If your cat ever escapes, a valid pet license provided identification, safe shelter and direct return home
- Cat licences are valid for one year and must be renewed annually
- Pet licence fees help to provide food, shelter and vet care for thousands of lost cats in Saskatoon each year
Spay / Neuter
- Reduces unwanted litters and cat overpopulation
- Reduces the incidence of disease and infection
- Eliminates female heat cycles and reduces male spraying
- Helps make cats more sociable and affectionate
Subsidized Spay and Neuter Program (SSNP)
The Subsidized Spay and Neuter Program is an initiative of the City of Saskatoon, the Saskatoon Academy of Veterinary Practitioners and the Western College of Veterinary Medicine, who have joined forces to provide low income pet owners access to significantly discounted veterinary services and financial resources. Learn more about the Subsidized Spay and Neuter Program.