You are here

Non-resident Businesses

The Revenue Division licenses all businesses operating in Saskatoon that do not have a permanent Saskatoon business location.  This includes:

  • non-resident contractors
  • non-resident businesses
  • direct sellers
  • transient traders
  • farmers' markets
  • trade shows
  • taxicabs

Applications and fees may be submitted in person or by mail to the Revenue Division.  Please note that this is an application only; if your application is approved you will receive your Business License.  For more information, please contact us by calling 306-975-2400 or 1-800 -667 -9944 

For License fees please consult page 18 (schedule 2) of Bylaw 8075 

License Types

A transient trader is defined by The Cities Act as a person who offers goods or merchandise for sale or auction; or solicits any person who is not a wholesale or retail dealer for orders for the future delivery of goods or merchandise; but does not include a person who is required to be licensed pursuant to The Direct Sellers Act or who is an occupant of the property that is used for business purposes.

Transient Traders

Contact the Revenue for more information by calling 306-975-2400 or 1-800-667-9944.

Taxicabs/Wheelchair Accessible Taxicabs

Contact Revenue for license information by calling 306-975-2400 or 1-800-667-9944.


Direct Sellers

Contact Revenue for license information by calling 306-975-2400 or 1-800-667-9944. For Provincial Direct Sellers License information, contact the Consumer Protection Division at 1-877-880-5550.  A Direct Seller is a person who goes from house to house and/or by telephone, offering for sale, or soliciting orders, for the future delivery of goods or services.  The Provincial Direct Sellers Act requires direct sales companies and salespeople making door-to-door sales, home-party sales and telephone sales to be licensed and bonded.   Direct Sellers must first obtain a Provincial Direct Sellers License before they may apply for a City of Saskatoon Direct Sellers License.

Trade Shows

Contact Revenue for license information by calling 306-975-2400 or 1-800-667-9944.Trade shows are defined as a place where goods or merchandise are offered for sale by retail or auction on a short-term basis such as hobby shows, home improvement shows, sportsman shows, and craft shows.  A trade show license covers all individuals offering goods or merchandise for sale at the trade show.  If a trade show is operating at more than one location, a license must be obtained for each location.


Contractor License

A contractor is any person who constructs, alters, maintains, repairs or removes buildings or structures, installs heating units, plumbing or other fixtures or performs other similar work. Contractors who do not have a permanent business location in Saskatoon, but are conducting business within the city, are required to purchase a non-resident contractor's license from Revenue.

Plumbing Contractor License

Applications must receive approval of the City of Saskatoon Plumbing Inspector.  Plumbers are required to meet with the Plumbing Inspector to receive an information package and instructions regarding plumbing permit applications. Plumbers must also submit their original Journeyman Certificate of Qualification for the inspector to view.  To set an appointment to meet with the Plumbing Inspector call 306-975-7631.

Once approval is received from the Plumbing Inspector, applicants are required to purchase a Plumbing Contractor license from Revenue.

Direct Sales Contractor

Direct Sales Contractors construct, alter, renovate, maintain, repair, add or improve a building that is used or is to be used as a house by the owner, occupant, or person in control of the dwelling. Direct Sales Contractors must hold a Provincial Direct Sellers License.

Contact Revenue for more information by calling 306-975-2400 or 1-800-667-9944.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the purpose of a Business License? 
Business Licenses are required for the following reasons: to regulate business, to ensure compliance with land-use and building regulations, to gather land-use information whereby commercial and industrial policies are based, and to facilitate planning decisions.

When is a Business License required?
No person shall carry on any business, commercial or home based, without a business license.  A license must be obtained for each location and cannot be transferred.

How long is a Business License valid?
A Business License is valid for one year from the date it is issued unless otherwise stated on the license.

What information is required when applying for a Business License?
An applicant must include all requested information, including but not limited to:

  • name, address, and phone number of the applicant
  • the nature of the business for which the license is required
  • the place where the business is to be carried on
  • the name under which the business will be operated
  • the name of a contact person

How long does it take to process a Business License?
Business Licenses typically take seven to ten business days to process.

Is there a fee if I decide to change my business name?
There is no fee to change a business name. However, the original business license must be submitted indicating the proposed business name change.

Is there a fee if the business changes its mailing address?
Provided the business does not change locations, there is no fee to change the mailing address of a business.

How can I pay my license fee?
Mail a cheque or money order payable to The City of Saskatoon to:
The City of Saskatoon
Revenue Division
Box 1788
Saskatoon, SK S7K 8E1

Can I drop off my application along with my payment?
Yes!  Please visit the Corporate Revenue:
Main Floor, City Hall
222 3rd Avenue North, Saskatoon
Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (excluding holidays)

Payments may be made by cash, Interac, cheque or money order made payable to The City of Saskatoon.  Credit card payments are not accepted.

When does the City of Saskatoon send out annual license renewals and when is the license fee due?
Renewal notices are sent for Business Licenses expiring the following month.  License expiration dates are stated on the Business License renewal form.

For information about the licensing of businesses operating from a fixed address in Saskatoon, including all home based businesses as well as those operating from commercial and industrial locations, contact the Business License Program, Community Standards, 306-975-2760 or go to Business Licenses.