A building permit is required for any deck:
- higher than 200 mm (8 inches) above ground level
- more than 2.32 sq. m (25 sq. ft.) and more than 600 mm (24 inches) above ground
- and in all cases where the deck has more than three risers.
Find helpful tips on requirements and guidelines in our How to Build a Deck guide.
How to apply for your permit:
Find your Zoning Designation & Zoning District
Development regulations vary depending on the zoning designation of your property. Search for your property on the Development Portal map, and make note of your Zoning Designation.
Go to the Zoning Bylaw No. 8770 and enter your zoning designation in the search field (ctl+F will pull up the search field) to find your Residential Zoning District.
Navigate to the appropriate Section and Subsection of the bylaw to review all development regulations that apply to your zoning district, such as permitted uses, discretionary uses, development standards, and landscaping requirements. Use these requirements to plan your project.
Preparing your Construction Drawings and Supporting Documents
We require one complete set of construction drawings, which we will return when we issue the permit. All drawings must be drawn to scale with dimensions. A complete set of construction drawings includes:
- Complete the Residential Building and Development Permit application.
- Completion of the Building Materials Checklist (Page 18 of How to Build a Deck Guide).
- Site plan, showing the proposed deck with distances shown to property lines and accessory buildings.
- A plan showing the location of piles, beams, and columns.
- Any structural changes to the dwelling unit resulting from the deck location.
- Bedroom windows are required to have an opening of at least 30 inches in front of the window, and have a path of at least 30 inches high from the window to a public street or area.
Applying for your permit online is quick and easy. Refer to our Online Permit Quick Start Guide for step-by-step instructions on how to apply for your permit.
Approved Permit Package
Once your permit is approved, paid for and obtained, construction can begin. Building Standards offers next day inspections for all mandatory inspection stages identified within your permit package. Book inspections online at saskatoon.ca/buildinginspectionsrequests.