A building permit is required for any deck:
- higher than 200 mm (8 inches) above ground level
- more than 2.32 sq. m (25 sq. ft.) and more than 600 mm (24 inches) above ground
- and in all cases where the deck has more than three risers
Find helpful tips on requirements and guidelines in our Deck Project Guide.
How to apply for your permit:
Find your Zoning Designation & Zoning District
Development regulations vary depending on the zoning designation of your property. Search for your property on the Development Portal map, and make note of your Zoning Designation.
Go to the Zoning Bylaw No. 8770 and enter your zoning designation in the search field (ctl+F will pull up the search field) to find your Residential Zoning District.
Navigate to the appropriate Section and Subsection of the bylaw to review all development regulations that apply to your zoning district, such as permitted uses, discretionary uses, development standards, and landscaping requirements. Use these requirements to plan your project.
Preparing your Construction Drawings and Supporting Documents
A complete application includes:
- Completed submission details form, which is found in the Deck Project Guide.
- Site plan, showing the proposed deck with distances shown to property lines and any accessory buildings.
- A drawing showing the location of piles, beams, and columns.
- Any structural changes to the dwelling unit resulting from the deck location.
Apply for your Permit - saskatoon.ca/ePermitting
Track all permit and inspection activity from initial application to completion, renewal or expiration of your permit. Visit saskatoon.ca/epermitting to register your account or to sign-in to the online portal.
Things to remember:
- Call SaskPower at 1-888-757-6937 before you dig to locate utility lines and property easements.
- It is the responsibility of the owner and contractor to ensure all construction is in accordance with the National Building Code, the Building Bylaw No. 9455, Zoning Bylaw No. 8770 and other regulations.