The Parks Department provides and maintains floral displays for public viewing and landscape enhancement along major public roadways, parks and public open spaces and also in City Hall, civic facilities and the Civic Conservatory (currently closed - for more information see Civic Conservatory).
Since it was built in 1958, the City’s Greenhouse facility (Greenhouse) located within the Vic Rempel yards off Avenue P North, has provided plants for all the City’s flower pots, flower beds and indoor greenery and has now reached the end of its service life.
In recent years, the Greenhouse has experienced escalating structural concerns due to its age and unique design and will soon need to be vacated for the safety of staff. In September 2022, an engineering assessment indicated increasing issues with the Greenhouse structure from the previous year and recommended that it be vacated.
The City wants everyone to know that bright and beautiful flowers will continue to be planted citywide by Parks staff every year. While options will be explored for the future of the Greenhouse, the City has secured a suitable private sector contractor to provide seasonal plants for the 2023 season.
Later 2023, City Administration will bring a report back to City Council outlining longer-term recommendations for the future of the Greenhouse program.
Saskatoon Flower Pot Program
Parks staff place and maintain over 1050 flower pots on street corners, centre medians and boulevards to brighten our streets during the summer months.
- 4,000 plants maintained daily
- 350 plant and flower species used
- 51,000 annuals produced each year for park flower beds and the flower pot program
- Flower pots receive over 80 gallons of water each summer
Annuals used in the 2023 Flower Pot Program:
- Artemisia - Makana Silver
- Asparagus Fern - Foxtail
- Begonia - Pegasus
- Canna - South Pacific Rose, Cannova series: Bronze Orange, Bronze Peach, Bronze Scarlet
- Coleus – Perilla Magilla, ColorBlaze series: Royal Pineapple Brandy, Torchlight, Dip-t in Wine
- Cyperus - Baby Tut, Prince Tut
- Fountain Grass - Purple
- Gaura - Karalee Petite Pink, Stratosphere White
- Juncus - Blue Mohawk
- Kniphofia - Pyromania Backdraft
- Pennisetum - First Knight
- Salvia – Victoria Blue
- Verbena - Meteor Shower
- Calylophus - Ladybird Lemonade
- Dahlia - Venti Lemon
- Gaillardia - Heat It Up Yellow
- Geranium – Survivor Coral
- Petchoa - Supercal Premium series: Caramel Yellow, Cinnamon
- Supertunia series: Blue Skies, Latte, Persimmon, Royal Magenta, Royal Velvet, Silver
- Vista series: Fuchsia, Jazzberry, Paradise, Mini Indigo, Mini Scarlet, Mini White, Mini Yellow
- Asparagus Fern
- Calibrachoa - Superbells Dreamsicle
- Licorice Vine - Petite Licorice
- Lobularia - Snow Princess
- Lotus Vine - Parrot's Beak
- Lysimachia - Green Creeping Jenny
- Petunia - Ray Red
- Scaevoa - Whirlwind Blue Fanflower
- Sedum - Lemon Coral
- Sweet Potato Vine (Ipomoea) – Sweet Caroline Light Green, Bewitched After Midnight
- Verbena – Superbena Peachy Keen, Temari Patio Blue