Farmers’ Market Building at River Landing
Although the Farmers’ Market Building is closed right now, exciting things have been 'growing' on at the site. Check back for regular updates.
At a Glance (April 2023)
- Since the announcement of Ideas Inc. was the successful proponent to operate the Farmers’ Market building (Gather Local Market) much work has been completed, in particular the finalized details of the facility improvements and plans for operations.
- At the April 5, 2023, Planning, Development and Community Standards Committee meeting an information report was presented (PDCS Farmers' Market Report) to provide council and the community an update on the design, construction timelines, and the opening date.
- A formal Opinion of Probable Costs from a qualified firm was completed. The Class A cost estimate of the construction value determined the design may exceed the available approved budget. To stay within the approved budget, the City worked with the design consultants and Ideas Inc to descope the final design plan, should it be needed.
- With the need to descope the interior scope of the project two RFQ’s were developed and issued. The RFQ for the HVAC system was awarded in early 2023 and the RFQ for the interior fittings will close in mid-April.
- Due to managing the potential of the project exceeding the approved budget, the descoping component and development of an additional RFQ, the opening May date is delayed to an anticipated date of October 2023.
- The City is working with Ideas Inc. to ensure the outdoor market occurs Saturdays on Market Square. Ideas Inc. is committed to operating their outdoor market on Saturdays from June 17th to September 30th for the 2023 growing season.
- City Council, at their Public Hearing meeting on Monday, August 29, 2022 approved the key terms for the Lease Agreement with Ideas Inc. to operate the new public market (Gather Local Market) at River Landing a minimum of six days a week and provide a vibrant community destination and gathering place that will focus on Saskatchewan produce and content.
- The report presented to the Planning, Development and Community Standards Committee on Monday, August 15, 2022 outlined key terms of the Farmers’ Market Building Lease Agreement, including the Tenant Operating Metrics and post-budget request for shared furniture costs.
- The City is working with Henry Downing Architects and Stantec Consulting to complete the interior design, plan mechanical and other infrastructure upgrades, and manage the construction project. The construction tender will be released in fall 2022.
- A report (agenda item 7.2.5) was presented to the Planning, Development and Community Standards Committee on Monday, June 13, 2022 to provide an update on the redevelopment of the Farmers’ Market project, including details of the project budget, the secured federal funding grant and the proposed opening date for the indoor public market.
- The City was approved for $750,000 in Government of Canada funding through PrairiesCan under the Canada Community Revitalization Fund (CCRF) for the interior renovations of the Farmers’ Market Building at River Landing.
- Roof repairs were completed in Spring 2021.
- Street Stall Saturdays has partnered with the Community Farmers’ Market of Saskatoon during the growing seasons to offer a seasonal outdoor farmers’ market on Saturdays in Market Square in River Landing.
River Landing Concept Plan - Farmers' Market Building & Market Square Objectives
- The Farmers' Market Building and adjacent Market Square are City-owned assets within River Landing.
- The River Landing Concept Plan calls for a farmers' market component at the site, along with other animation features, such as business activities at minimum of six days per week, to make this area a year-round destination.
Request for Proposal for the Lease of the Farmers’ Market Building
- The lease with the previous tenant expired on December 31, 2019.
- City Council directed City Staff to find a tenant who will fully utilize this community asset and animate the facility for six or more days a week, including a minimum of two days dedicated to a farmers’ market component with a focus on local produce and content.
- A Request for Proposal (RFP) was released in November and closed late December 2019.
- A team of City staff from departments relevant to the project evaluated the submissions based on criteria outlined in the RFP.
- Ideas Inc. was the highest ranked proponent selected to operate and animate the building six days per week.
- City Council approved key terms of the Lease Agreement at their meeting on August 29, 2022.
- The overall RFP process has been overseen by an external Fairness Monitor. The Final Report can be viewed here.
Farmers’ Market Building Roof Repairs
- In February 2019, it was discovered that significant repairs were needed to the roof of the Farmers’ Market Building.
- The roofing contractor undertook the removal of the old roof, and the installation of new insulated roof panels and skylights. The result is a more efficient building with a roof that no longer leaks!
- The Farmers' Market Roof Replacement Project was complete in Spring 2021.
Outdoor Market on Market Square
- Market Square will continue to be used for a farmers’ market as an extension of Ideas Inc.'s annual Street Stall Saturdays.
- As there was no building tenant at the time, the City approved this application, as an interim initiative, in order to meet the commitment to City Council.
- Street Stall Saturdays partnered with the Community Farmers' Market (a farmers' market entity operating in the city) for the 2020 and 2021 growing seasons to offer a seasonal outdoor farmers' market on Market Square and Sonnenschein Way every Saturday from May through October; 9am - 2pm.
The Farmers’ Market Building Renewal and Options Report from the Monday, August 30, 2021 City Council Agenda - Regular Business Meeting can be found here.
The latest News Release (City in negotiations with Ideas Inc. to manage Farmers' Market Building, August 30, 2021) can be found here.