Farmers’ Market Building at River Landing
Although the Farmers’ Market Building is closed right now, exciting things have been 'growing' on at the site. Check back for regular updates.
At a Glance (January 2021)
- Discussions continue with a potential tenant, selected through the public Request for Proposal process to lease and animate the Farmers' Market Building six-days-a-week.
- The Farmers' Market Building is currently closed to the public, due to roof repairs. They are scheduled to conclude in January 2021.
River Landing Concept Plan - Farmers' Market Building & Market Square Objectives
- The Farmers' Market Building and adjacent Market Square are City-owned assets within River Landing.
- The River Landing Concept Plan calls for a farmers' market component at the site, along with other animation features, such as business activities at minimum six-days-a-week, to make this area a year-round destination.
Request for Proposal for the Lease of the Farmers’ Market Building
- The lease with the previous tenant expired on December 31, 2019.
- City Council directed City Staff to find a tenant who will fully utilize this community asset and animate the facility for six or more days a week, including a minimum of two days dedicated to a farmers’ market component with a focus on local produce and content.
- A Request for Proposal (RFP) was released in November and closed late December 2019.
- A team of City staff from departments relevant to the project evaluated the submissions based on criteria outlined in the RFP.
- The City is in negotiations with the highest ranked proponent to operate and animate the building six-days-a-week. These negotiations are confidential at this time.
- Once lease terms are finalized, a public report will be presented to City Council for consideration.
- The overall RFP process has been overseen by an external Fairness Monitor.
Farmers’ Market Building Roof Repairs
- In February 2019, it was discovered that significant repairs were needed to the roof of the Farmers’ Market Building.
- The roofing contractor undertook the removal of the old roof, and the installation of new insulated roof panels and skylights. The result is a more efficient building with a roof that no longer leaks!
- The Farmers' Market Roof Replacement Project will be complete at the end of January 2021.
Outdoor Market on Market Square
- During discussions with City Council in 2019, Administration committed to ensuring that Market Square would be animated with an outdoor farmers’ market in 2020.
- The City received an application through its regular booking process for Market Square in 2020, to be used for a farmers’ market as an extension of Ideas Inc.'s annual Street Stall Saturdays.
- As there was no building tenant at the time, the City approved this application, as an interim initiative, in order to meet the commitment to City Council.
- Street Stall Saturdays partnered with the Community Farmers' Market (a farmers' market entity operating in the city) to offer fresh produce and local content on Market Square and Sonnenschein Way every Saturday from June 20 to October 10; 9am - 2pm.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many Proposals were received as part of the 2019 RFP for the Lease of the Farmers’ Market Building?
The City is in negotiations with the highest ranked proponent of the RFP and the results can become public knowledge upon Contract award.
When will the future tenant be offered the lease?
The City is in negotiations with the highest ranked proponent of the RFP; once the lease terms are finalized, a report will be presented to City Council for consideration.
Is the future arena going to be located at this site?
There are two vacant parcels of land in the vicinity of the Farmers’ Market Building (currently temporary parking lots). Since the City owns the parcels, they are being evaluated as a potential site for a new arena and/or convention centre as part of the Downtown Entertainment District. There are also a number of other sites around the Downtown that are being evaluated as potential sites. It is expected that the preferred arena location be presented to City Council in 2020, however future construction is some years away.
Will the City rent the Farmers’ Market Building prior to selecting a new tenant?
The City has not chosen a new tenant for the building, so until that time, we cannot rent out the building as we do not know what their plans for it might be.