You are here

Outdoor Grilling Safety

Grilling safety

When enjoying delicious food on the barbeque or charcoal grill, it's important to keep safety in mind. Grills can be very hot and accidents can lead to burn injuries and fire. Follow the simple tips below to help keep your home and family safe during the grilling season.

 

Cook responsibly and safely when grilling outdoors

  • Use BBQ grills outdoors; never grill inside a garage or home.
  • Place the grill a safe distance from your fence, siding, deck railing or other combustible structures.
  • Make sure your grill is placed on a flat, level surface.
  • Never leave your grill unattended while in use.
  • Wear appropriate clothing. Loose or baggy clothing can easily catch fire when too close to an open flame. 
  • Periodically remove grease or fat buildup so it cannot be ignited.
  • Keep a spray bottle nearby so you can quickly extinguish smaller flames before they spread.

Tips for using propane or gas grills

  • Thoroughly check the gas line for leaks at the beginning of each grilling season.
  • Never use a propane cylinder if it shows signs of gouges, bulges, corrosion, rust, or other visual external damage.
  • Always open the lid before lighting the grill to prevent an explosion from gas build-up.

Tips for using charcoal grills

  • If using a charcoal chimney starter, always cool the starter completely before storing.
  • If using a starter fluid, only use charcoal starter fluid. Never add starter fluid to coals that are already hot or warm.
  • Allow coals to burn out and cool completely (at least 48 hours) and empty coals into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid.

What to dif a grill catches fire

If your grill catches fire:
  1. Attempt to turn the burners off if you can reach the knobs safely. This will stop the fuel supply from feeding the fire and creating a larger fire.
  2. If safe to do so, close the grill lid to cut off the oxygen supply to the flame.
  3. Extinguish the fire with baking soda or a fire extinguisher.

If the fire cannot be extinguished using the methods noted above, call 9-1-1.