Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Days completed for 2019
Thank you to those who participated in this program and made the effort to divert their hazardous waste safely and keep it out of our Landfill. HHW Days will return in April 2020. To continue to divert your HHW material during the off-season, please refer to the Waste Wizard or Saskatchewan Waste Reduction Council for safe and convenient disposal information.
What is Household Hazardous Waste?
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) materials are the discarded, unused or leftover portion of household products containing chemicals that can cause illness or death to people, plants and animals. They can also negatively impact soil and nearby water sources. These products are often labeled CAUTION, WARNING, CORROSIVE, EXPLOSIVE, FLAMMABLE, POISONOUS or TOXIC. Common HHW includes aerosols, automotive fluids, batteries, cleaners, cylinders, light bulbs, medications, yard chemicals, and more. These and many other types of hazardous materials should not be put in your garbage or recycling containers, dumped on the ground or poured down the drain.
Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Days
To help you dispose of your HHW, the City of Saskatoon and GFL Environmental coordinate Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Days between April and November for recycling and safe disposal of HHW material.
2020 Event Details
- Location: Civic Operations Centre (57 Valley Road)
- Dates: April 5, May 3, June 7, July 5, August 9, September 13, October 4, November 1
- Time: 9:00am - 3:30pm (Gates close at 3:30pm. Arrive before 3pm to beat the rush.)
- The program is open to Saskatoon residents ONLY for hazardous wastes from Saskatoon residential properties ONLY – no agricultural, institutional, commercial, or industrial loads will be accepted. For disposal/recycling of hazardous wastes from non-residential sources, please contact GFL Environmental Inc. at 306-244-9500.
What you can expect from us
- Monthly drop-off events for the disposal of HHW.
- A friendly and knowledgeable team of experts available to unload your vehicle safely and efficiently.
- Responsible disposal of your HHW.
How you can help us
- Help put waste in the right place. Learn about HHW and how to safely and responsibly discard of unused or leftover portions of products containing harmful chemicals.
- For large loads (e.g. used oil and household paint) please consider the other convenient recycling options available to you.
- Used engine oil, oil filters, oil containers and antifreeze are accepted at no charge at the Eco Centre located at the City's Landfill (limit of 500 L).
- Household paint and paint products are accepted at all SARCAN recycling depots.
- For exceptionally large loads (e.g., you cleaned out your parents' garage), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate drop-off arrangements.
- If you plan to attend an HHW event, make sure your materials are safely contained or packaged for transport. Let the event staff know if you want to keep the box/bin used to transport your items, and they’ll return it after your items have been removed.
- All waste must be properly contained, and all containers must be sealed; containers that leak may be refused.
- All containers must be clearly marked to identify the contents; unknown items may be refused.
- Stay in your vehicle and let the event staff do the work – it is safer for everyone and speeds up the drop-off process!
- Tell us about your experience attending the event. What did we do well? How could we improve? Contact us at email@example.com.
Other Recycling Opportunities in the Community
A variety of local retailers accept specific materials for disposal or recycling during regular business hours. Explore the Saskatchewan Waste Reduction Council website for a list of places that accept HHW materials.
Don't know where it goes? Ask the Wizard!