Household Hazardous Waste
HHW Drop-off Days are underway!
The next HHW event will be Sunday, June 5!
Last year we saw an average of 492 participants per event and received a total of 162,243 kg of hazardous waste! Thank you for diverting your hazardous waste from the landfill and helping Saskatoon move closer to its 70% waste diversion target. Visit the Waste Wizard or get the Saskatoon Waste Wizard app to find ways to safely dispose of your hazardous material year-round.
What is Household Hazardous Waste?
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) materials are the discarded, unused or leftover portion of household products containing chemicals that can cause illness or death to people, plants and animals. They can also negatively impact soil and nearby water sources. These products are often labelled CAUTION, WARNING, CORROSIVE, EXPLOSIVE, FLAMMABLE, POISONOUS or TOXIC. Common HHW includes aerosols, automotive fluids, batteries, cleaners, cylinders, light bulbs, medications, yard chemicals, vaping products and more. These and many other types of hazardous materials require safe handling and should not be put in your garbage or recycling containers, dumped on the ground or poured down the drain.
Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Days
To help you dispose of your HHW, the City of Saskatoon and GFL Environmental coordinate Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Days between April and November for recycling and safe disposal of HHW material.
2022 Event Details
- Location: Civic Operations Centre (57 Valley Road)
- Upcoming event dates: June 5, July 10, August 7, September 11, October 2, October 16, November 6
- Time: 9:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m. ***The lineup may be cut off earlier than 3:30 p.m. depending on the level of traffic.***
All necessary health and safety measures are in place to protect residents and event staff in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. In an effort to help reduce the spread of the virus, the following guidelines and restrictions will be in place:
How you can help us
- Learn about HHW and how to safely and responsibly discard unused or leftover portions of products containing harmful chemicals.
- For large loads (e.g. used oil and household paint) please consider the other convenient recycling options available to you.
- Used engine oil, oil filters, oil containers and antifreeze are accepted at no charge at the Eco Centre located at the City's Landfill (limit of 500 L).
- Household paint and paint products are accepted at all SARCAN recycling depots.
- For exceptionally large loads (e.g., you cleaned out your parents' garage), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate drop-off arrangements.
- If you plan to attend an HHW event, make sure your materials are safely contained or packaged for transport.
- All waste must be properly contained, and all containers must be sealed; containers that leak may be refused.
- All containers must be clearly marked to identify the contents; unknown items may be refused.
- Stay in your vehicle and let the event staff do the work – it is safer for everyone and speeds up the drop-off process!
- Help reduce emissions from idling and protect the health of other residents by turning off your vehicle during long wait times.
- Tell us about your experience attending the event. What did we do well? How could we improve? Contact us at email@example.com.
Other Recycling Opportunities in the Community
A variety of local retailers accept specific materials for disposal or recycling during regular business hours. Explore the Saskatchewan Waste Reduction Council website for a list of places that accept HHW materials.
Don't know where it goes? Ask the Wizard!