Proper cart care and placement are the key to successful collections.
- Cart lids must be COMPLETELY closed and in an upright position to prevent windblown litter. Waste outside of your cart will not be collected.
- Collection times vary. Set out your cart no later than 7 a.m. on your collection day.
- Place your cart so there is at least 1.2 meters (4 feet) of space on all sides between your cart and all obstacles (cars, other carts, fence).
- Your cart must not obstruct pedestrian or vehicular traffic. Place your cart on even surfaces to prevent it from tipping over.
- Return your cart to your property by 7 p.m. on collection day to prevent fines, theft, or damage to your cart.
- Place your cart on the street with wheels facing the curb in front of your residence in which the cart is assigned.
- Carts should not be placed on the sidewalk or blocking your neighbour's driveway.
- For winter collections, residents are responsible for clearing snow (natural or from grading) and debris. Do no place carts on top of snowbanks.
- Place your cart in the designated collection area on the edge of the lane with wheels facing the fence behind the residence in which the cart is assigned. Please watch for low overhead utility lines.
- Do not block the lane. Do not restrict access to your neighbour’s driveway or gate.
- For winter collections, residents are responsible for clearning and snow or debris that would interfere with the safe collection. Carts placed on top of snowbanks cannot be collected safely.
- All carts must be arranged in the center of the cul-de-sac facing the same direction with at least 4ft (2m) between them to ensure collection.
- For winter collections, the City's snow clearing efforts can sometimes present obstacles for effective waste collections. Each cul-de-sac and snow pile placement is unique, so residents are asked to decide which option best suits their scenario. Please place carts all in one area, either in front of or beside the snow pile, facing in the same direction.
- Carts must be stored on your property only and clear of roadways, sidewalks, back lanes, boulevards and other municipal property.
Cart Labelling and Identification
Swipe through the gallery below to find the illustration that matches your collection scenario.