Construction in Saskatoon is inevitable every summer and millions of dollars are invested annually into ensuring our roads, sidewalks and bridges remain safe. To help reduce the impact to residents and to save on costs and improve efficiency, much of the road and sidewalk work is done in conjunction with underground utility upgrades, such as water main replacements.
On this page, you will find details about construction underway, links to more information about larger projects, and a preview into what’s to come in the next couple of years.
In 2021, $63.5 million is going toward making Saskatoon's streets, bridges, and sidewalks smoother, safer and longer lasting. The City has 165 lane kilometers of road construction of all types planned.
Major road projects include:
- The eastbound lanes of College Drive between Central Avenue and Highway 41 are being resurfaced
- Eastbound traffic on College Drive down to one lane through the 60 km/h work zone
- Work starting July 11 and is expected to take approximately two weeks
- A rehabilitation project on the Circle Drive overpass over 8th Street.
- Work on the overpass beginning July 11 and expected to take approximately six weeks.
- Northbound and southbound traffic on Circle Drive is slowed to 60 km/h through the work zone.
- Work beneath the overpass may result in periodic lane closures on 8th Street between 8:00 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. This section of 8th Street will remain fully open during the daytime.
- There will be no traffic impacts on the ramps that lead onto and off Circle Drive at 8th Street.
- resurfacing from Broadway Avenue to Lorne Avenue
- date to be determined
All current construction projects can be viewed on the Road Restrictions and Construction Projects Map.
For details regarding major water main replacement and rehabilitation projects in 2021, please visit this page.
Stay Updated on Construction
The Daily Road Report provides information on year-round road restrictions in high traffic and high speed streets that may impact your commute. You can view it and subscribe to receive it in your e-mail under the News section on the homepage.
The City consistently monitors, maintains, and preserves roads, sidewalks, bridges, and water and sewer infrastructure. To see projected areas of treatment and preservation (2021-2023), please view the Asset Preservation Interactive Map. All locations, projects and treatments listed within the map are only projections and are subject to change.
How to use the map:
- Open it in Google Chrome
- Select the legend in the left hand corner
- Enter the street you are interested in
- The street will be highlighted if work is planned between 2021-2023
If you would like to report a safety concern that may not be identified in the 2021-2023 Asset Preservation Plan, please contact the Customer Care Centre at email@example.com or call 306-975-2476. More information about the City's Asset Preservation Programs is available under "Related Pages" in the right column of this page.
Please visit the links in the right column of this page to learn more about the City’s road maintenance, and water and sewer programs.