Steps to Safety
Steps to Safety is a National Fire Prevention Association program that promotes eight fire safety and eight fall prevention messages through group presentations and home visits. The goal of the program is to help older adults eliminate fire and fall hazards in their environment so that they can stay in their homes as long as they would like. Through the program older adults are also taught what to do in the event of a fire and how to get up off the floor if they have fallen and are not hurt.
Call 306-975-7715 to book a group presentation or home visit.
- 1 in 3 adults over the age of 65 will fall each year. By the time they reach 85 that becomes 1 in 2.
- Adults over 65 are twice as likely to be harmed by fires as the general population. That increases to three times as likely by age 75 and four times by 85.
Steps to Safety
Steps to Safety presentations can accommodate group settings. Each presentation is approximately 45-60 minutes long. Safety messages are presented in a fun and engaging way. Useful demonstrations are provided such as how to get up off the floor if you aren’t hurt. Attendees also have the opportunity to sign up for a personal home visit.
Home visits are completed by trained volunteers. The visit includes identifying fire and fall hazards throughout the home. The volunteer will also test all smoke alarms and offer suggestions on how to make the home safer.
8 Steps for Fire Prevention
- If you smoke, smoke outside
- Give space heaters space
- Stay in the kitchen when frying food and cooking on the stove top
- If your clothes catch fire: stop, drop and roll
- Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms save lives
- Plan and practice your escape from fire and smoke
- Know your local emergency number
- Plan your escape around your abilities
8 Steps for Fall Prevention
- Exercise regularly
- Take your time
- Keep stairs, pathways and walking areas clear
- Improve the lighting in and outside your home
- Use non-slip mats and grab bars
- Be aware of uneven surfaces
- Wear sturdy, well-fitting shoes
- Have a list of your current medications available