Subsidized Spay & Neuter Program
What is the Subsidized Spay and Neuter Program?
The Subsidized Spay and Neuter Program is an initiative of the City of Saskatoon, the Saskatoon Academy of Veterinary Practitioners and the Western College of Veterinary Medicine, who have joined forces to provide low income pet owners access to significantly discounted veterinary services and financial resources.
Who can apply?
Any person who has been a permanent resident of Saskatoon for at least one year and whose total household income falls under Statistics Canada Low Income Cut-off (LICO). The maximum number of pets a household can apply for is two. For more information on the program, please see our SSNP Program Overview.
The 2022 application period opens on Tuesday, January 4, 2022. All qualified Subsidized Spay and Neuter Program applicants will need to submit completed documentation and are encouraged to apply in person or by mail to City Hall, 222 3rd Avenue North, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Notification of approval/rejection will usually be made by mail within three to four weeks of receipt of the application. Further delay may exist due to the high volume of applications.
Applications are available for pick-up in person at City Hall or can be printed off here; SSNP Program Application.
Participating Veterinarian Vendors
Approved applicants of the Subsidized Spay and Neuter Program (SSNP) must ensure the following before booking an appointment with a Participating Veterinarian Vendor:
- Read, understand and sign the SSNP Surgery Waiver.
- Go to City Hall to complete the following:
- Submit the signed SSNP Surgery Waiver
- Get the valid SSNP Surgery Voucher authorized and stamped by the City of Saskatoon. Expired vouchers cannot be authorized.
- Pay the non-refundable SSNP fee of $25 (cat) or $40 (dog). This fee may only be paid in cash or through a debit transaction.
*Veterinarians will NOT perform the surgeries until the forms are fully processed by the City of Saskatoon.
Two appointments must be booked to fulfill the requirements of the SSNP process.
1) First Appointment is the pre-operative examination to determine suitability for surgery. If suitable for surgery, relevant vaccines will be administered. **You must provide the veterinary clinic with a valid Surgery Voucher at first visit.
2) Second Appointment is the spay or neuter surgery as well as booster vaccinations. **This must be booked with the same clinic for the surgery to be completed.