According to the Impounding Bylaw, the City may seize or tow a vehicle when...
It is not registered.
Vehicles parked on the street must be registered and have a license plate properly displayed at all times. The City has the authority to impound your vehicle or trailer immediately if it is not registered.
It has outstanding unpaid parking fines.
If you do not pay your parking ticket(s) and do not make your scheduled court appearance to contest the fine(s), the City has the authority to impound your vehicle. You will have been given prior notice.
It is parked in violation of the Traffic Bylaw.
Vehicles that are parked longer than allowed on the street, impede traffic, park in “No Parking” zones, park hazardously, block alleys or driveways, etc. are in violation of the Traffic Bylaw and can be seized by the City.
Vehicles may be immobilized (booted) and seized from both public and private property. Fines of up to $10,000 for individuals or $25,000 for corporations can be issued to anyone who obstructs or interferes with the seizure of a vehicle, or tampers with an immobilization device.
Reclaim Your Vehicle
You have 30 days from the date your vehicle is impounded to pay outstanding parking tickets and/or register your vehicle. If an impounded vehicle is not claimed within 30 days, it may be sold at a public auction or scrapped with the received amount being applied to recover the costs associated with the seizure of the vehicle, including towing fees and impound lot costs, and then applied to the outstanding ticket balance owing. If there is still an outstanding ticket balance remaining, another vehicle may be seized to cover the remainder.
Seized vehicles can be reclaimed at the Impound Lot located at 150 Jonathon Avenue in Saskatoon.
- Monday to Friday, 11:00am to 7:00pm
- Saturdays from 12pm to 4:00pm
- Closed Sundays and holidays.
You will need:
- A valid driver’s license or other Government-issued ID
- A valid vehicle registration
- Payment of all outstanding parking fines
- Payment of all impound and tow fees (non-negotiable)
- Towing: Actual cost of tow service (varies between $100.00-$200.00)
- Impound Fee: $50.00 (2019) / $65.00 (2020)
- Daily Storage Fee: $15.00 per day (2019) / $17.00 per day (2020)
- Administration Fee: $25.00
Cash payment is not accepted at the Impound Lot; only debit or credit card at this location.