Downtown Event & Entertainment District
Planning for the development of a Downtown Event & Entertainment District, centred on a new arena and convention centre, is in the preliminary stages. The current phase of the project is limited to the selection of a future site location in the downtown area. Detailed designs, funding models and timing of construction have yet to be determined. Decisions about these items will be made in future years.
As one of the most significant projects the City is likely to undertake in the next decade, considerable effort is being put into researching and analyzing several potential sites in the downtown area. This work includes:
- Researching best practices and reviewing the experience of other cities in developing comparable downtown event and entertainment districts. An example of a similar district is Edmonton’s Ice District, where Rogers Centre Arena is situated.
- Getting advice from experts in the development of event and entertainment districts to gain insights into design, crowd management, site access, operational requirements and other technical considerations that will influence the feasibility of potential sites.
- Negotiating with private landowners of potential sites, in addition to assessing all potential City-owned property.
While progress continues to be made in these areas, it is important to ensure this pre-planning work is thoroughly completed before information on the potential sites for a future Downtown Event & Entertainment District can be shared publicly.
Engagement will be undertaken with stakeholders, partners and residents on the vision of the Downtown Event & Entertainment District. This will allow us to better understand the community’s vision for the district, including the first components of the district, which include the new arena and convention centre.
Committee & Council Reports
- Governance and Priorities Committee, March 2018: An Analysis of New and/or Expanded Event and Convention Facilities in Saskatoon (Consultant Presentation)
- City Council, November 2018: Considerations for the TCU Place and SaskTel Centre Project
- City Council, April 2019: Downtown Event and Entertainment District – Next Steps
- Governance and Priorities Committee, September 2019: Downtown Event and Entertainment District Public Engagement Plan
- City Council, January 2020: Downtown Event and Entertainment District – Update
- City Council, April 2021: A Vibrant Future for Saskatoon's Downtown - An Exploration of Potential Funding Opportunities to Bring the Vision to Life
- Governance and Priorities Committee, June 2021: Downtown Event and Entertainment District and Bus Rapid Transit - Sequencing of Upcoming Reports and Milestones
- Governance and Priorities Committee, August 2021: Downtown Event and Entertainment District - Project Governance