Garage and Yard Sales
Covid-19 Update: Garage and Yard Sales Now Permitted
Effective July 21, garage and yard sales are permitted in accordance with the guidelines and restrictions as required by the Chief Medical Health Officer and regulated under the Government of Saskatchewan's Re-Open Saskatchewan plan.
When hosting a garage or yard sale you must be mindful of the current public health order and ensure that physical distancing can be maintained. Group events are not yet permitted and the sale must be kept to a single household. Take precautions by sanitizing your hands after handling goods and cash, and posting signs at your sale to encourage physical distancing.
Garage and yard sales can be a useful (and fun!) way to reduce, reuse and recycle. Here are some things you should know:
- Garage or yard sales may be conducted on any site in an R (residential) or M (institutional) district by someone living at the property, or by a non-profit group associated with a place of worship, public school, community association or other similar group or organization.
- No more than four sales per site in one calendar year.
- Sales can last a maximum of three consecutive days.
- A permit or license is NOT required to operate a garage sale.
- The retail sale of new items is not permitted.
If you are putting up a temporary garage sale sign, please make sure to observe the Temporary Sign Bylaw; otherwise you could face a fine. Reminder: illegal signs will be REMOVED.
Garage Sale Sign Information
If you are erecting temporary signs for a garage sale or open house, please make sure you observe the Temporary Sign Bylaw; otherwise you could face a fine. Reminder: illegal signs will be REMOVED.
Your sign must be constructed to meet these requirements:
- Sign face area of 0.6 square metres or less (approximately 2 feet x 3 feet).
- No more than two sign faces.
- Must be self-supporting (cannot be attached to any city property such as fences, street light poles, traffic signal poles, etc.).
- Top must be less than 1.0 metre (approximately 3 feet) above ground level.
The following signs are prohibited:
Balloon signs or other inflatable devices, electronic message centres or kites.
Temporary signs that resemble any traffic control device.
Signs on any centre median, traffic island or sidewalk.
Signs must not create a potential hazard to vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
Placement of Signs
Signs meeting the design requirements are permitted on City rights-of-way provided they meet specific SETBACK REQUIREMENTS.
Your sign must be a MINIMUM of:
- 2.0 metres (6 feet) from the curb or 6.0 metres from the nearest driving lane, if no curb exists.
- 1.0 metre (3 feet) from any City sidewalk or pathway.
- 2.0 metres (6 feet) from any fire hydrant.
Garage & Yard Sale signs may be put up at the beginning of the sale, and MUST BE REMOVED immediately following the sale.
Open house signs may only be displayed while the open house is in progress.
Keep Signs Off the Following Locations
Temporary signs are prohibited on any street or adjacent buffer strip described as follows:
- Circle Drive except that portion between Warman Road and the CNR spur line west of Avenue C
- Idylwyld Drive except that portion between 20th Street and the CNR overpass north of 39th Street
- Airport Drive
- The interchange at the south junction of Highways 11 and 16
- 11th Street between Chappell Drive and the west City limit
- College Drive between Cumberland Avenue and the east City limit
- 22nd Street between Witney Avenue and the west City limit
- Betts Avenue between Hart Road and the south City limit
- 33rd Street between Steeves Avenue and the west City limit
- Range Road, 3063 and 3064, between the north City limit and the south City limit
- 71st Street between Idylwyld Drive and Wanuskwin Road
- Millar Avenue between 60th Street and the north City limit
- Attridge Drive between Circle Drive and McOrmond Drive
- McOrmond Drive between Highway 5 and the north City limit
- Agra Road between Central Avenue and the east City limit
- Betts Avenue between 22nd Street and Hart Road
- Battleford Trail between Hughes Drive and the west City limit
- Claypool Drive between Airport Drive and the west City limit
- Avenue C between 45th Street and Idylwyld Drive
- 51st Street between Idylwyld Drive and Warman Road
- Lenore Drive between Warman Road and Primrose Drive
- Central Avenue between Attridge Drive and the north City limit
- Lowe Road between Agra Road and Nelson Road
- 8th Street between Moss Avenue and the east City limit
- Boychuk Drive between 8th Street and Highway 16
- Preston Avenue between Circle Drive (north) and 14th Street
- Preston Avenue between Circle Drive (south) and the south City limit
- Clarence Avenue between Circle Drive and the south City limit
- Lorne Avenue between Circle Drive and the south City limit
- Warman Road between 33rd Street and 51st Street
- Wanuskewin Road between 51st Street and the north City limit
Garage sale, yard sale and real estate open house signs. Copies are also available at the Information Desk at City Hall.