Pet Wellness Guide
The Pet Wellness Guide features articles promoting animal health, responsible pet ownership and Animal Services programs and initiatives. View the complete 2023 Pet Wellness Guide online or check out some of the feature articles below.
Thinking of adding a new pet to your home? Before becoming too fixated on what you’ll name it and how much fun it will be, sit back and seriously consider all that’s involved. In short, do your research, be prepared, and take your time.
Getting in shape doesn’t have to be a deadly dull chore. It can involve fresh air and sunshine. Best of all, it can be done with your furry friend. By participating in a canine sport, both you and your dog can share in the benefits of increased activity. Here’s how!
Allergies are quite common in dogs and cats, but can be challenging to diagnose. The good news is that treatment options are available. Seeing your veterinarian is your first line of defence.
Keeping our community safe — humans and animals alike — is a top priority for the Saskatoon Animal Control Agency (SACA). Every year, the dedicated team of Animal Control Officers responds to an increasing number of calls from the community — ranging from reports of dogs and cats at large to complaints of nuisance barking, accumulation of dog feces and reports of dog bites. “We are here for the protection of people and animals,” says SACA president Eva Alexandrovici. “We want to make sure that everyone is living in harmony, are safe and looked after.”
One of the biggest components of being a responsible pet owner is spaying or neutering your pet to prevent unwanted kittens or puppies. Saskatoon’s Subsidized Spay & Neuter Program (SSNP) is a collaborative initiative of the City of Saskatoon and the Saskatoon Academy of Veterinary Practitioners. The program provides lower-income pet owners with access to significantly discounted spay and neuter veterinary services. “Over the past five years, about 1,000 pets have been spayed or neutered through SSNP,” says Melissa Meacham, open space consultant with Animal Services.
Thanks to his microchip, Walter White was reunited with his owner at the Saskatoon SPCA. The cat had run away over three years ago and was unable to find his way home. The happy family reunion was made possible by a simple microchip. Microchipping your pet is easy and painless. You can take your cat or dog to any vet clinic, and they can do the procedure there.
Have an idea or topic for the next Pet Wellness Guide? Submit your topic for consideration for future Pet Wellness Guides.
Looking for a printed copy of the 2023 Pet Wellness Guide? Limited copies are available for residents to pick up at any City leisure facility, Pet License Vendors and a select number of locations throughout Saskatoon.
Pick Up Locations
- Cosmo Civic Centre 3130 Laurier Drive
- Lakewood Civic Centre 1635 Mckercher Drive
- Lawson Civic Centre 225 Primrose Drive
- Saskatoon Field House 2020 College Drive
- Shaw Centre 122 Bowlt Crescent
Pet License Vendors
- Saskatoon Animal Control Agency 1925 Avenue B North
- Saskatoon SPCA 5028 Clarence Avenue South
- Cumberland Veterinary Clinic #20 - 1010 Taylor Street East
- Erindale Animal Hospital #11 - 410 Ludlow Street
- Early's Farm & Garden Centre 2615 Lorne Avenue
- Early's Farm & Garden Centre 502 51st Street East
- Pet-I-Coat Junction & Barkery 110 Wedge Road, Unit 6
- Pet Planet 40 - 1519 8th Street
Veterinary Clinics and Animal Hospitals
- Acadia Veterinary Clinic #4 - 3421 8th Street East
- VCA Canada All West Animal Hospital 3120 Laurier Drive
- Arlington Animal Hospital 3010 B Arlington Avenue
- Cumberland Veterinary Clinic 20-1010 Taylor Street East
- Forest Grove Veterinary Clinic 8 - 415 115th Street East
- VCA Canada Lakeview Animal Hospital 2 - 1945 McKercher Drive
- Lawson Heights Animal Hospital 120 - 227 Primrose Drive
- City Park Vet 1 - 706 Duchess Street
- Stonebridge Veterinary Hospital 5 - 215 Stonebridge Blvd.
- Orchard Veterinary Clinic 439 2nd Avenue North
- Orchard Veterinary Clinic 21 - 2605 Broadway Avenue
- U of S Small Animal Hospital 1420 - 52 Campus Drive
- Prairieland Veterinary Clinic 2319 Lorne Avenue
- Woodridge Veterinary Clinic 411-D Herold Ct
- VCA Canada Central Animal Hospital 106-103rd Street East
- VCA Canada Frontier Animal Hospital 2035-A Alberta Avenue
- River Heights Animal Hospital 12 - 7 Assiniboine Drive
- City Hall 222 3rd Avenue North
- SCAT Street Cat Rescue Inc 108-2750 Faithful Avenue
- Critters 112 - 110 Ruth Street East
- Family Pet Cremation 210 A 33rd Street East
- Pet Planet 40 - 1519 8th Street East
- Pet Planet 7 Assiniboine Drive
- Pet Valu 6 - 2325 Preston Avenue S
- Pet Valu 25 - 125 Gibson Bend
- Pet Valu 1A - 234 Primrose Drive
- Wilson's Lifestyle Centre 303 Owen Manor