Yellow Fish Road
Protect Our South Saskatchewan River!
The Yellow Fish Road Program was established in 1991 by Trout Unlimited Canada. This program has been implemented across the country to help educate people about water supply and the impact that communities can have on the clean water supply. As part of this program, storm drains are marked with a yellow fish symbol to remind residents “what goes into the storm sewer goes directly to our river.”
Did you know storm water goes to our rivers untreated?
Unwanted household products discarded in storm drains flow directly through underground pipes into our river. These hazardous wastes do not go through the sewage treatment plant. The chemicals endanger fish and other aquatic life. The chemicals also harm our river water which we use for recreation, cooking and drinking. Harmful products include used motor oil, pesticides, herbicides, gasoline, antifreeze, paint thinners, pet waste, and other common household products.
How can you help?
- Wash your car at a car wash to prevent soap from entering storm drains.
- Scoop your dog’s poop and put it in the garbage.
- Take hazardous household chemicals to designated drop off locations.
- Fertilize lawns and gardens naturally with compost, grass cuttings and topsoil.
- Invite insect predators to your yard: birds (houses), ladybugs (leaf litter), spiders (leave webs), and bats (boxes).
- Pull weeds by hand, or host a weed pulling party!
- Sweep dirt and sediment onto the lawn - not the street.
- Fix car leaks so fluid does not get washed down the drain.
The City of Saskatoon has partnered with Partners FOR the Saskatchewan River Basin and Meewasin to deliver the FREE program within the Saskatoon Public School Division and Greater Catholic School Division. This program is tailored to grade 4-8 classes and includes a presentation explaining how storm drains carry water directly into the South Saskatchewan River, and an outing to paint storm drains with a yellow fish symbol in the local neighbourhood.
For more information or to book a program, visit: https://www.saskriverbasin.ca/kids-activities/yellow-fish-road-program/
OR email: email@example.com