Cats make great pets to have around the home. Every cat has a unique personality and quickly becomes a part of your family. While cats are typically known for being relatively low maintenance, there are a lot of things to consider to ensure they are at their happiest and healthiest.
Essentials of Cat Ownership
Thinking about adopting or purchasing a cat? Consider the costs of owning a cat before making this important decision. While the cost of owning a cat is much less than that of a dog, there is still a significant financial responsibility associated with owning a cat.
- In Saskatoon, all cats four months and older require a valid pet license.
- Fees from licenses help provide food, shelter and vet care for thousands of lost cats in Saskatoon each year.
Subsidized Spay and Neuter Program (SSNP)
- Reduces unwanted litters and cat overpopulation
- Reduces the incidence of disease and infection
- Eliminates female heat cycles and reduces male spraying
- Helps make cats more sociable and affectionate
- Spay or neuter services
- Food and water dishes
- Collar and leash
- Litter box
- Scratching post
- Cat carrier
- Annual licensing fees
- Cat food and treats
- Vet check-ups and vaccinations
- Vacation pet-sitting
- Pet insurance
If you want your cat to take in the fresh air and experience the stimulation of the outdoors, consider teaching your cat to walk with a harness and leash or invest in a Catio (cat patio). There are many ways to ensure that your cat can safely enjoy the outdoors.