You are here


 COVID-19 Response for Saskatoon Residents

Starting Monday, June 15, 2020, the Payment Centre, Customer Service & Collections counters located in the lobby of City Hall will open with a limited number of services, view what is available here. The lobby has been modified with the health, safety and well-being of employees and citizens as top priority. The remainder of City Hall remains closed to the public. Our business operations continue to ensure core services for our residents as much as possible. Public transit currently remains operational.

Land Use Complaints

A team of Bylaw Inspectors are responsible for managing and enforcing the Zoning Bylaw (No. 8770), which dictates what land uses are permitted on a property. The goal of the enforcement program is to work with citizens to ensure that they understand their responsibilities and to encourage neighbours to live in harmony with each other. 

Some of the more frequent concerns include:

  • Illegal dwelling units;
  • Vehicle repair in residential areas;
  • Fence heights;
  • Signs (portable and permanent);
  • Vehicles parked on the front lawn; and
  • Illegal home based businesses.

Legal Action

Although legal action remains a possible course of action for all Zoning Bylaw violations, it is generally considered a last resort. Property owners are given the opportunity to resolve land use violations on their own. The amount of time provided depends upon the nature of the violation. However, if a property owner refuses to resolve an issue within the prescribed timeline, or if a property owner repeats an offense, legal action may be considered.

Filing a Land Use Complaint

If you would like to submit a land use concern, please fill out the Making a Bylaw Complaint form.