Properly storing and disposing of smoking materials
In recent months there has been a noticeable increase in fires resulting from the improper or inadequate storage and disposal of smoking materials; this is of immediate concern to the Saskatoon Fire Department.
Residents are reminded to:
- Keep smoking materials well out of the reach of children,
- Always use a deep ashtray or metal container with a lid to dispose of smoking materials, keeping it a safe distance from anything combustible,
- Never discard smoking materials in vegetation, mulch, peat moss, potted plants, leaves, grasses, or other easily combustible materials, and
- Douse smoking materials in water or sand to ensure they are safely out.
Smoking materials include, but are not limited to:
- Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), otherwise known as vape pens,
- Drug paraphernalia, and
- Lighters and matches.
NOTE: Although electronic cigarettes do not produce a visible flame or ember, fires have occurred while being used, charged, and transported. Never leave charging electronic cigarettes unattended and always be cautions while they are in use.
Smoking material fires are preventable fires; be sure to properly put it out.
In an emergency, call 911 immediately.