You are here

Structure Fire - 200 Block Avenue H South

For immediate release: May 13, 2022 - 5:52pm

At 2:59 p.m. on May 13, 2022, the Saskatoon Fire Department (SFD) received multiple 9-1-1 calls reporting smoke coming from a house in the 200 block of Avenue H South.  Three fire engines, one ladder truck, one rescue unit and the Battalion Chief were dispatched.  At 3:03 p.m., fire crews arrived and reported smoke showing.  At 3:04 p.m., firefighters began extinguishing the fire.   A fire hydrant was connected to our engine to provide continuous water supply.  Tactical duties were assigned to the fire crews.  Natural gas and electrical were shut off for safety reasons at the fire scene.  

Entry into the basement of the house was made by fire crews at 3:10 p.m.  Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and high heat.  There was zero visibility.  The basement became fully involved.  At 3:18 p.m., fire crews backed out of the basement and a suppression tool using an aerosol system was deployed to assist with extinguishment.  Using a basement window at 3:21 p.m., the suppression tool was activated and placed in the basement.  It requires three to four minutes to work without water or ventilation being applied.  This suppression tool interrupts the chemical chain reaction of fire by suppressing the flames and bringing down the heat.  This tool does not completely extinguish the fire but changes the fire's environment.  At 3:25 p.m., extinguishment continued by firefighters from the exterior.  The fire was brought under control at 4:28 p.m.

Four occupants were inside at the time of the fire and had evacuated prior to SFD's arrival.  One of the occupants was treated by the ambulance service for smoke inhalation.  As a precaution, homes on either side were evacuated.  

At 5:18 p.m., the fire scene was turned over to the Fire Investigator.  There were no smoke alarms in place.  SFD will follow up and require records.  The Fire Investigator will work with the Saskatoon Police Service during this investigation.  Damage is estimated at $50,000.  An update will follow once the fire investigation has been concluded.