Line Painting - Quick Facts
- Approximately 900-1000 kilometres of lane, centre, and edge lines are painted annually. Higher traffic locations are painted 2 to 3 times a year.
- Approximately 1,000 crosswalks are painted annually. Crosswalks on higher traffic locations are painted 2 to 3 times a year.
- A typical paint season runs from early April (weather permitting) to September/October (also weather permitting). This allows for high traffic locations to be painted more than once a year.
- A significant portion of line painting on priority streets is done at night to limit the impact to motorists. For safety reasons, pilot vehicles with flashing lights always accompany line marking trucks on priority roadways.
- Semi-permanent markings are added to roadways annually. Locations for 2017 semi-permanent markings include Circle Drive, Avenue C, Idylwyld Drive, 8th Street, 22nd Street, 51st Street, College Drive, and Taylor Street. The life of this product is 7-10 years.