You are here

POWER OUTAGE DURING COLD WEATHER

For immediate release: February 1, 2015 - 4:53pm
FR14-100

Given the recent power disruptions in Central and Eastern Canada, the Saskatoon Fire Department and the Emergency Measures Organization would like to remind everyone that in the event of loss of electrical power during cold weather requiring the use of an alternative source of power, the following key safety rules should be followed:

1) Gas powered portable generators used to supply electrical power should be positioned outside, in a well ventilated area, in order to avoid the dangers of in home carbon monoxide poisoning caused by the exhaust system.

2) All types of outdoor barbecues used for cooking during power outages must placed outside, in a well ventilated area. These appliances cannot be used inside due to the extreme risk for fire, explosion and carbon monoxide poisoning.

3) Do not leave candles burning unattended in a room. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.

  • Keep candles away from items that can catch fire such as clothing, books and magazines, or curtains – as they are all highly combustible.
  • Use sturdy candle holders that will not tip or burn and are large enough to collect dripping wax.

4) Avoid carbon monoxide poisoning in your home by verifying your air intake vents for accumulation of snow and when warming up your vehicle, ensure that it is not close to air intake vents.