You are here

Building & Development Permits

residential construction

Introducing ePermitting

Starting March 1, 2022, building, development and plumbing permits can be done completely online through the City of Saskatoon’s new ePermitting system. ePermitting will let people apply for permits, track the progress of the application and even request inspections all digitally – reducing the need for in person visits to City Hall and increasing transparency around the permitting process.

How to use ePermitting

  1. Quick Start (pre-application) Guide
  2. How to create/login to your account
  3. How to apply for a permit
  4. How to pay fees after submitting application
  5. How to check the status of your permit
  6. How to book an inspection

Once you have reviewed the above user guides, visit to register your account or to login to the online portal.

Does your next project require a building and development permit? Several common project are outlined below to help you determine if a building and development permit is required for your next project. Please contact Building Standards if you require clarification or further details regarding your specific scope of work as the lists noted below are not comprehensive. 

Common projects where a building and development permit is required:

  • New building or structure on your property including: house, garden and garage suite, mobile home, garage, decks or other accessory building greater than 10 square meters (107 square feet) in floor area.
  • Swimming pools (including above-ground pools and hot tubs)
  • Basement developments, secondary suites or fireplaces in your home
  • Demolition, repair, alteration or addition to an existing building or structure including: solar panel installation, repair after fire or water damage and structural repairs.
  • Change in occupancy or use of the building
  • Moving an existing building or structure.  
  • Installation or replacement of any fire alarm system
  • Alterations or repairs to heritage buildings
  • Installing bay, bow, or box windows in new or existing openings
  • Construction increasing the roof top loading

Common projects where a building and development permit is not required if the entire scope of the project consists only of:

  • Fences, landscape stairs or retaining walls not attached to a building
  • Driveways and sidewalks for curb and ditch crossings (A Curb, Sidewalk and Ditch Crossing Permit is required for changes to public property) 
  • Cosmetic repairs such as painting, patching drywall, laying carpet and other similar minor repairs of interior or exterior finishes 
  • Replacing kitchen cabinets provided the clearances of the National Building Code are met 
  • A play structure
  • An accessory building less than 10 square metres in area. The accessory building must conform to zoning regulations
  • Replacement/repair of roofing of exactly the same roofing material (above decking) as per most recent approved building plans, where available
  • Replacing/repairing a portion of existing siding with exact same material, but not a full wall
  • Replacing doors and windows in existing openings, as long as the outside dimension of the window or door does not change, the opening area is not changing and the level of life/fire safety is not changing, such as the fire protection rating or egress hardware

Need a permit? Apply online at

New online services are now available for building and development permits and inspections. The new ePermitting system allows you to track all permit and inspection activity from initial application to completion, renewal or expiration. Online applications are now available for:

  • Building and Development Permits (Residential or Commercial) 
  • Demolition Permit
  • Inspection 
  • General Permits (decks, garages, etc.) 
  • Plumbing Permit

Visit to register your account or to sign-in to the online portal.