Saskatoon Curbside Swap
Have clean, usable stuff to give away? Want free stuff? Swap it!
At a Curbside Swap, you place unwanted items in good condition on your property (next to the sidewalk or curb) and mark them as FREE for anyone to pick-up. You can also search for free items for your own household! At the end of your Swap day, return your unclaimed items to your home along with your own newfound treasures.
Plan a Curbside Swap for your household or your neighbourhood! Giving used items a new home keeps them out of our landfill and swapping helps to build a sense of community.
Planning a Curbside Swap?
Here are some tips:
- Check out the Curbside Swap Host Manual for information.
- Contact your Community Association to find out if a Curbside Swap is planned for your neighbourhood.
These downloadable and customizable materials may help you promote your event:
Guidelines for Curbside Swaps
- Clearly mark all items that you wish to swap as "FREE" and remove any items from your lawn and curb that you wish to keep.
- Do not block sidewalks/roads with items.
- Obey all traffic laws and watch for children.
- Do not drive/walk on other people’s lawns.
- Do not discard items on someone else’s lawn/curb.
- Kitchen utensils
- Building material
- Computers and electronics
- Yard and garden equipment
- Usable paint
- Sporting goods
- Musical instruments
- Plants, potted trees, etc.
- Other durable goods
- Garbage or recyclables
- Chemicals of any kind
- Weapons of any kind
- Food items
- Dangerous/illegal items
- Car/booster seats
- Baby gates and walkers
For more information on unacceptable items, visit the Consumer Products Safety Bureau website.
What do I do with items not collected during the swap?
- Donate them to a charity.
- Give them to a local thrift store.
- Post them on a free classifieds website, such as Kijiji.
- Visit the Saskatchewan Waste Reduction Council website to find out if any of your unwanted items can be recycled in Saskatoon.
Reporting unclaimed items left out?
To report items left in a resident's yard after a Curbside Swap, call the Safety and Property Maintenance Hotline at 306-975-2828.
If you are posting signs, please take note of The Temporary Sign Bylaw - Bylaw No. 7491.