Request a Tree
Let's grow together and help enrich Saskatoon's urban forest. Homeowners and businesses can request the City plant a tree free of charge in the boulevard(s) adjacent to their property by submitting the online form below. Requests are filled subject to availability and suitability to the planting site.
What you can expect from us
- Inspections are done between May and October in the order in which the requests are received.
- A notice will be left at your residence or business at the time of inspection advising whether or not a suitable planting site has been identified. If there is an appropriate planting site, a green stake will be placed on the boulevard to mark the area where the tree will be planted and the notice will include the species selected. If there are no underground utility conflicts your request will be placed in a planting queue to be completed by the end of October.
- The City is responsible for all pruning maintenance.
How you can help us
- Homeowners are responsible for watering new trees, unless otherwise noted. A new tree needs to be watered with a maximum of 10 litres (2.5 gallons) twice a week (or every 3 to 4 days) for the first month and then once every 7 to 10 days for the next 3 years. Watering frequency should be increased during hot dry weather.
- Avoid herbicide damage when you (or your lawn care company) look after the grass around the tree. Do not apply any herbicide in the area near the root ball, trunk or leaves.
- Keep grass and weeds away from the trunk. Trees can establish more quickly when not competing with other plants for nutrients and water. Avoid damaging the bark with grass trimmers.
- Mulch with wood chips or other organic mulch around the base of the tree to keep soil cool and moisture in. Keep mulch away from the trunk of the tree.
Tree Species Selection
The following documents list the tree species available for new and established neighbourhoods. Homeowners may list their top three choices of tree species in order of preference in the online form below. Requests are filled subject to availability and suitability to the site.
Online Form: Request A Tree