Composting is the process of breaking down organic waste (such as food scraps, grass clippings, and dried leaves) into a rich soil amendment that your lawn and garden will love!
The following home composting initiatives are coordinated by the Saskatchewan Waste Reduction Council (SWRC) on behalf of the City of Saskatoon.
Want to start backyard composting, but not sure how?
- Read the Compost Bins: How-To Guide.
- View the Composting in 60 Seconds video series.
- Access information on the SWRC’s composting page.
- Attend a composting workshop.
- Learn more about how you can manage your fallen leaves.
There are plenty of ways to compost at home, including indoor methods such as vermi and bokashi composting. To learn more about indoor composting methods:
- Visit the SWRC’s composting page.
- Attend a composting workshop.
Other composting options
In addition to offering residents home composting support and incentives, we also provide a number of other composting programs:
- Residential Green Cart program to have food and yard waste collected.
- Saskatoon’s east and west side Compost Depots accept residential yard waste and jack-o-lanterns, free of charge.
- Every year, temporary Christmas tree drop-off sites are set-up around the city.
What’s your home composting style?
There are many ways to compost at home. Find out what kind of backyard or indoor compost method(s) will work best for you by taking the "What's Your Composting Style?" Quiz.
Compost Bin and Rain Barrel Rebates
We offer $20 rain barrel and compost bin rebates to city residents. Households are eligible for one rebate per item per year. Institutions, schools, community gardens, and businesses are also eligible, as long as the items are used for educational purposes. Rebates are administered by the SWRC. To apply, please fill out the rebate form.
1. Purchasing an item from a local retailer:
- Rebate submissions must include the receipt from a licensed business.
- The rebate applies to indoor or outdoor composters.
2. Purchasing materials to build your own:
- Rebate submissions must include:
- The receipt for the purchased building supplies from a licensed business.
- A photo of the purchased building supplies.
- A photo of the finished rain barrel and/or compost bin.
Compost Coach Information
Whether you’re just getting started or a seasoned home composter, we can help!
Set up a FREE home visit with a Saskatoon Compost Coach. A trained volunteer will come by your home to answer your composting questions, help you solve any challenges you're facing, or guide you through the process of starting a new home composting system. And don't forget to invite a friend or two if you know others who want to learn!
Home visits generally take 15-45 minutes. To book your free appointment, contact 306-931-3249 or email@example.com.
Have a composting question? Contact the Compost Hotline at 306-931-3249 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 1-2 business days for the SWRC to respond to your inquiry.
Compost Coach Training
Every year, the SWRC delivers a 2-day training session to those interested in joining Saskatoon's team of Compost Coaches (formerly the Master Composters).
Through lectures and hands-on practice, you will learn about soil biology, techniques and troubleshooting for traditional composting, vermicomposting, bokashi fermentation, grasscycling, and compost tea. The course goes over how to answer common questions, give presentations, and lead composting demonstrations.
Once you've completed the training, you will be encouraged to take part in a number of exciting volunteer opportunities, including: working with community gardens, staffing composting displays at community events, giving presentations, and performing home visits for residents who request one-on-one composting help. These volunteer opportunities are coordinated through the SWRC.
- The next compost coach workshop will be held March 4 and 5, 2023. Visit the SWRC website for more information.