Summer and Seasonal Employment
Who we are
The City of Saskatoon is a place where you can build a career and make a difference in your community. As a municipal government, we offer a range of core public services such as roads, transit, parks, water, police and fire to over 270,000 residents.
The City of Saskatoon has over 500 seasonal and summer jobs available to help us deliver quality programs and services to Saskatoon residents. We have a variety of job opportunities available in the following areas: Parks, Recreation and Community Development, Roadways, Water and Fleet. Positions may include Playground Leader, Parks labourer, Cashier/Receptionist, Labourer and Lifeguard.
The City prides itself on living its core values of People Matter, Respect, Integrity, Safety, Trust and Courage. We live our values every day to help us achieve our vision of making Saskatoon a great place to live, work, learn and play. We want people who connect to our vision and our values.
As a member of our summer/seasonal team, you are vital to making our vision a reality and creating a memorable and positive summer experience for residents and visitors in Saskatoon.
We offer an inclusive workplace that embraces diverse backgrounds. The City of Saskatoon is proud to be an Employment Equity Partner with the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission (SHRC) and we continue to make progress towards having a workforce that represents Saskatchewan’s population.
Join our team! All available seasonal and summer positions are posted to current employment opportunities.
Summer vs Seasonal Jobs
- Summer jobs are temporary positions that have set start and end dates. Perfect for those who are looking for short term employment through the summer months while building on their work experience.
- Seasonal jobs are positions that also have set start and end dates but will give you the opportunity to be recalled. Perfect for those who are looking for short-term but recurring employment year after year.
Dates for Summer & Seasonal Recruitment
- We post our positions starting mid-January and close mid-February.
- Shortlisting and pre-screening will happen in January and February.
- Interviews will occur in March.
- Offers will be presented in March.
- Start dates will vary depending on the position. This information will be provided to candidates at the time of an interview.
We look for individuals who
- share and live our values of people, respect, integrity, safety, trust, courage;
- are self-starters, friendly and embrace teamwork;
- are customer-service focused and can act as brand ambassadors for the City;
- are motivated, reliable and eager to learn, grow and excel;
- embrace diversity, respect differences and collaborate; and
- can grasp new skills quickly and take pride in their work.
How to apply
To be eligible for our positions, you must satisfy the following criteria:
- be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- be 16 years of age or older by the first day of summer employment (If you are 14 or 15 years old and able to work you must obtain the Young Worker Readiness Course Certificate of Completion. If you are 14, you cannot work unless the Employer obtains a special permit from the Director of Employment Standards.); and
- successfully completed a minimum of grade 10 or 12.
Our Recruitment Process
- Application phase. All applicants are given the opportunity to apply online.
- Pre-interview form. All shortlisted applicants will be asked to complete a pre-interview that will be sent by email. This form must be completed and returned by the deadline indicated to proceed to the interview phase.
- Interview phase. If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and will be provided with details on your interview time, date, location and what to bring.
- Selection/hiring phase. If you are successful, you will be notified by email and asked to provide all job specific documentation (as listed above). Offers will be conditional upon verifying required documents.
- Orientation. Successful applicants will be contacted about the specific details for their orientation, training and start dates.
What we need from you
1. Application Phase:
- Resume: ensure you have your contact information (including your preferred email address), education details and past work experience listed.
- References: include at least two references on your resume with their name, email address, phone number and relationship to you.
2. Pre-interview Phase:
- If you are shortlisted, you will need to complete a pre-interview screening form. This form will be emailed to you with a defined return date and is to be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
3. Interview Phase:
- You will be contacted by email and provided with all relevant details for your interview including: interview date, time, location, what to bring and what to expect.
- Please bring the following to your interview: Personal ID and any relevant documents required for the position.
4. Selection/hiring Phase (does not apply to all positions, refer to job posting):
- Proof of certifications and/or credentials;
- Valid and current Criminal Reference Check (CRC) and/or Vulnerable Sector Search (VSS);
- Valid and current driver’s abstract;
- Valid and current driver’s license;
- Valid and current First Aid and CPR
- Reliable transportation;
- References; and
- Any other documents required for the position (document requirements will vary).
Note: Requirements will vary depending on the position you are applying for.
To start employment:
If you are offered a position, you will have to provide the following documents on or before your start date:
- Social Insurance Number;
- Driver's License; and
- banking information (void cheque or a bank validated deposit form). The bank account must be in your name.
- All communication will be done through email, please ensure you include your preferred email address on your resume.
- The City of Saskatoon does not accept unsolicited, late or incomplete online applications. Consideration for employment will only be given to completed, submitted applications.
- All available seasonal and summer positions are posted to current employment opportunities.